dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Just When You're In The Mood For An Old-School Vanessa Williams Jam...

Vanessa Williams has a new album called The Real Thing coming out on June 2. This naturally put me in the mood to hear some of her older jams—particularly her 1993 duet with Brian McKnight, "Love Is," off the Beverly Hills, 90210 soundtrack.

OK, first of all, there were some decent hits off that soundtrack, no? Jeremy Jordan's "Right Kind Of Love," Shanice's "I love Your Smile"...Tori Spelling should have been Barbie-doll-legging herself to all of those!

So, of course I went to download "Love Is" off iTunes, and—goddammit—it's like the one Vanessa Williams song not on there...except in some generic karaoke version.

That line, "Look at this place, it was paradise but now it's dying," used to kill me when I'd rock out by myself in the car, singing along while driving around my hometown at age 19.

Oh, well. Here's the vid, anyway:



"Love Is" reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in Spring 1993.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Love this song. And you are such a sentimental diva.

    PS I am interested in VW's new CD. Might be decent old school r'n'b/pop.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Funny how time adds a patina of "meaning" to music I never really cared about when it was current. I guess I always took adult contemporary for granted, and now that it's gone... *lite sob*

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger John said…

    Jeremy Jordan...that boy was sex on vinyl. The full-length wasn't horrible, although "Wannagirl" is the only other song that instantly comes back to me. I remember in all of the promo materials we received at the store that there was this one shirtless shot that...

    Oh. My bad. "Love Is". Good song.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Once in high school, our psychology (yes, strangely, my backwoods school offered a psychology elective) teacher asked us to define "love"...I cribbed a bunch of lines from this song, thinking everyone would know I'd borrowed them...ummm, no one noticed, and I didn't correct them...oops...great song;o)

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    it's cliched to love save the best for last, but i do. that and promise me by beverley craven were the pop songs i realised i could play quite easily on the piano and use the music to lure boys into my clutches. it worked.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the guitar solo version better than the piano. Think it was on my cassette single.. lol OLD.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Listened to Vanessa L William's new CD last week. It is more boring than Madonna giving interviews during the Ray of Light era. It takes easy listening to a level that put me to sleep with the quickness... unfortunately :(

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here you go, buddy.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/602454076bd2b0c1/
    I can't believe you aren't posting at Towleroad anymore.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    XO, I am. And it's not. It's Latin jazz standards and covers, though there are two new Babyface tracks on there.

    Moog, yes! I think it's especially nostalgic because they just don't do ballads like this anymore, unless T-Pain is warbling in the background.

    John, YES! See this for my own teen longings for JJ.

    Shaun, I'll never tell!

    Paul, you're like Blanch DuBois, luring men in at The Tarantula. Hot!

    Anonymous, me, too. Is this video the piano solo version? The guitar solo...another thing they don't do in pop ballads anymore.

    Joshua, yeah, that was my first impression. I listened a few more times, though, and it's not bad for what it is. Decent dinner party music, maybe?

    Anonymous, wow, thanks. On both counts. But, as they say, to everything, turn, turn turn...

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger mattstorm said…

    wasn[t it 'saving forever for you' by Shanice that was on that soundrack? I stand corrected though
    Matt

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Lambert said…

Post a Comment

<< Home