dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Kylie Minogue: Quit Asking About My G.D. Elusive American Success!

There's an interview with Kylie Minogue on Billboard's site today, to promote her upcoming North American tour (of which a second New York date has been added now, after the first one sold out apparently within seconds).

She gets a bit feisty when asked about her lack of success in the States:
"It doesn't frustrate me. It's frustrating being asked about it and the assumption that it's something really missing in my career and in my life. It just so happens that I live in London and my time is spent more throughout Europe and then there's the Asian connection through Australia but the USA has remained at arms length."
You can't blame her for being on edge. She's had to put up with several dumb interviews lately. She also talks about feeling like she's missed out on a movie career or something, but, whatever—the important bit is about Kylie's next album!
"(It will be) pop, dance, that's my thing. I'd love to find a slightly new style, something that's the next step for me. I kind of have an idea but I can't really tell you. I'm working on it."
"RedOne!....Ky-lie"?

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger twostepcub said…

    Yeah, I'm baffled at the media sideshow that she's been dealing with. Between the horrid Today interview and this Billboard one, it pretty much sideline her into some sort of exotic property.

    Of course, I for one, am partly responsible for snapping up four tickets for NYC in the first hour, as well as two more for the monday show. I can't contain myself. And it's on Coming Out Day as well! OMFG!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Robbie, if you make Kylie into Gaga I will bludgeon with your own collection of Zirconia-studded buttplugs!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Robbie, if you make Kylie into Gaga I will bludgeon with your own collection of Zirconia-studded buttplugs!

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    poor kylie. everyone always focuses on the elusive lack of success in america for otherwise world wide successful popstars - Robbie Williams, Girls Aloud, Westlife, and of course Kylie. And i second XO's comment - you know my feelings on that ladyboy. :P

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous The Pet Issue said…

    Gaga's teacup has more talent than Kylie (dodging machine gun fire of sequins)...kidding! Love the House of Minogue.

    Anyway, what exactly defines "conquering" America? Consistent chart success here? Nabbing a huge #1? Charting a few songs? Becoming a significant part of American popular culture?

    There's not much chance Kylie's ever going to rule the chartz here, but hasn't she made enough of an impact to count? She's had a handful of U.S. hits, been around forever and is at least vaguely recognizable to most American pop culture fans, most of whom could at least mention "The Locomotion" or "la la la la" adequately.

    Most Americans might only know a tiny fraction about her, but isn't she at least on the same fame level here as some of these random rap/hip-hop flashes in the pan?

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Johnny D said…

    It will be interesting if she is still touring the X Tour that she brought to EU and AU. X wasn't huge in the US so I am wonderng if she will ditch some of the more obscure stuff and revise it to play more of her hits. Can't wait for the tour track listing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home