dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Maybe If Jordin Sparks Did The Sex With David Guetta, They'd Each Have A Hit?

Really, I'm only mentioning this so I can post the picture of the giant, burning disco ball—but every week I'm amazed at the durability of Sean Kingston's "Fire Burning," a song I first heard on the radio back in either February or March. And while I initially started out liking it, I can't say that I've listened to it much over the past two months.

Still, somebody must be still giving it some attention, as it manages to finally move up a notch to #6 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart this week.

Way on the polar opposite end, David Guetta and Kelly Rowland's "When Love Takes Over" has peaked at #90 so far. Meanwhile, David's album One Love will be released August 25 here in the States.

And wonder what's with Jordin Sparks' "Battlefield," which has been stuck in a cumbersome holding pattern? After eight weeks, it's still trapped at #30. Perhaps the album release will boost sales of the single, when it's released in two weeks.

Meanwhile, I hadn't seen the single cover for "Battlefield" that's to the left there. Pretty snazzy.

On a final note, "21 Guns," easily the best song off Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown, jumps up from #55 to #37. It's a track that sounds like part two of "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," but, ah, well, who needs originality anymore?

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "I Gotta Feeling" - The Black Eyed Peas *2 weeks*
2. "Boom Boom Pow" - The Black Eyed Peas
3. "Best I Ever had" - Drake
4. "Knock You Down" - Keri Hilson feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo
5. "LoveGame" - Lady GaGa
6. "Fire Burning" - Sean Kingston
7. "Birthday Sex" - Jeremih
8. "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" - Pitbull
9. "You Belong To Me" - Taylor Swift
10. "New Divide" -
Linkin Park

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 1:42 PM, OpenID toddnoonan said…

    I've been thinking the same thing about Jordan Sparks' "Battlefield." The song seems to be everywhere and it's been around forever. She sang it on American Idol back in March, and it was #2 on iTunes for a while shortly thereafter.

    Side note: she and I had a funny exchange on Twitter a couple weeks ago. I yelled at her to STOP SPAMMING (because she was sending 75 tweets/hr.) She politely responded that she was not spamming and that I was free to "unfollow" her (smiley).

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    yup, i feel that the love for Battlefield hasn't quite translated into the higher chart position perhaps expected. But it seems well known by everyone so in that respect it's done well!

    And i haven't listened to the green day album since the day i bought it. it just didn't appeal. maybe i need to revisit...

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Whore-din Sparks said…

    "Battlefield" is a terrible song!

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Kelly & David's live (yes, live! and sounded great!) performance on So You Think You Can Dance was pretty hot. Hopefully, that will be the exposure to spark the track's movement up the charts.

     
  • At 4:41 AM, Blogger Ken said…

    what an interesting title for a post. I'm so excited over Jordin's album. I feel that "Battlefield" will get a break soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home