dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

iTunes Goes Boy Krazy

Two years ago this week I posted a short film by Kimerly Craig, which documented the then-state of former Boy Krazy lead singer Johnna Lee Cummings.

Though it showed Johnna as someone who'd far-from-gracefully fallen out of the pop business a decade ago and was now working in a coffee shop and battling alcoholism, Kimberly stopped by Chart Rigger and left this comment:
"I just wanted to say that now looking back at the video, I think I made her life look more vulnerable than it really is. She's a very strong willed woman, and has since moved on. Out of the coffee shop. Out of Savannah. And although she is not in the music industry any longer, she is still happy."
Good to hear. Anyway, last week PWL made available all of Boy Krazy's remastered single EPs and their lone, self-titled Stock Aitken Waterman-produced album from 1993 on iTunes. Also up for download are two unreleased tracks—the upbeat jam "I'll Never Get Another Chance Like This" and the stellar ballad, "Exception To The Rule."

A few of the true highlights are the never released "Original" mixes of "That's What Love Can Do" (much more poppy, slightly Motown) and "Just Like A Dream Come True" (rougher than the album version), and the "Alternative" mix of "On A Wing And A Prayer."

And so, after spending a small fortune to further line Pete Waterman's deep pockets, I've compiled what I'm calling the best damn Boy Krazy playlist ever!

"Good Times With Bad Boys" and "That's What Love Can Do" vids.



Check it out below, and hop over to iTunes to listen and see if I'm right:

1. "That's What Love Can Do" (Original Mix)
2. "On A Wing And A Prayer" (Alternative Mix)
3. "I'll Never Get Another Chance Like This"
4. "Good Times With Bad Boys" (Dave Ford Mix)
5. "Exception To The Rule"
6. "One Thing Leads To Another" (Original Mix)
7. "Just Like A Dream Come True" (Original Mix)
8. "Who Could Ask For Anything More" (Original Version)
9. "All You Have To Do"
10. "Different Class" (Alternative Mix)
11. "Love Is A Freaky Thing" (Lurve Dog 7" Mix)
12. "Don't Wanna Let You Go"
13. "On A Wing And A Prayer" (Original Mix)
14. "Good Times With Bad Boys" (7" Backing Track)
15. "That's What Love Can Do" (Extended Version)
16. "All You Have To Do" (Extended Version)

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    I always like "Different Class" and am thrilled there's an alternative mix. Yes, thrilled. Welcome to my thirties.

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    am loving this SAW stuff on iTunes. I was boy crazy a long time ago and now iTunes has caught up :)

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger 17days said…

    i am GAGGING over having a remastered version of GOOD TIMES WITH BAD BOYS. i rushed to the local Strawberries Records and Tapes to buy the cassingle when I was a junior in high school because i LOVED that track; of course, THAT'S WHAT LOVE CAN DO is amazing as well.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    17 Days, I was two years older -- a freshman in college. Le sigh. "Good Times With bad Boys" was ALMOST a Top 40 hit here in the States. I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time as I was leaving the theater after seeing a matinee of Jurassic Park.

    Paul, whore.

    Moog, YES! It's such an underrated jam. I remember Mr. Brady lobbying hard to get us to appreciate "Different Class" back in the Kylie forum days!

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Mark said…

    Well, although I was a GEEZER in '91 when the Boy Krazy gals first hit the UK scene...I was 21...I'll never forget purchasing the original 12" of "That's What Love Can Do" from Boston DJ extraordinaire Caril Mitro at her Boston shop "The Vinly Connection". It quickly became one of my all time S/A/W faves. Imagine my thrill when the gals...and that track, finally resurfaced 2 years later.......I'll never forget...in '93, I went to see them at a club in Brockton, MA, and as they entered the club...through the audience, I was holding up their 2 UK 12" singles...and they stopped, and started pointing to them......finding it hard to believe they had a "long-time" fan in the room. As I sang along with every tune (lip syncing of course...would never SING..), they were further thrilled that someone there liked them so much, that he knew the words to all of their tracks. Magical times, and hearing these tracks now....it's 1991 all over again!

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Mark said…

    Made a typo above...I was actually 26 in 1991!!!

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger MrBrady said…

    These releases have left me moist all week. Just having the 12" version of "All You Have to Do" in a nicely polished digital version was good enough, but the alternative take on "Different Class" just pushed me over the edge...

    I recall how I tried to convince you all how good "Different Class" was all those years ago! "Boy Krazy" was the first full CD album I imported over the web, from the ill-fated CDNow.. oh so long ago.

     
  • At 3:00 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    OMG - I was just thinking of Boy Crazy this week! I was in high school when "That's what love can do" came out and I was thinking that I loved that cheesy song.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Anonymous scotro said…

    have to say this boy krazy thing has been consuming me since i discovered the i-tunes releases! "on a wing and a prayer" alternative mix just gives me goose bumps when the "prayeeeerrr" line just sorta fades as the beat momentarily stops...it's such cheesy goodness!

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Mark Bowling said…

    loving the new Boy Krazy releases... unadulterated, early 90s pop indulgence!

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Anonymous www.valladolid-3d.com said…

    Very worthwhile data, thank you for your article.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home