dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Madonna's Greatest Hits Track Listing: Not Bad

Madonna rose from her crypt like a thousand-year-old fiend of darkness to reveal the track list of her upcoming two-disc greatest hits collection, Celebration. And, surprisingly, it's not too shabby.

Major omissions: "I'll Remember," "This Used To Be My Playground," "Angel," "True Blue," "Power Of Goodbye," "Causing A Commotion"

Okay, I know I'm not really up on all things Madge, but I also realize this is the Vampyre's final obligation for Warner Bros.—so, like, why not just go all-out and put out a box set of like four of five discs, with all of her singles to date? Maybe that's later down the line? Greedy broad.

Here's what's on Celebration:

1. "Hung Up"
2. "Music"
3. "Vogue"
4. "4 Minutes"
5. "Holiday"
6. "Like a Virgin"
7. "Into the Groove"
8. "Everybody"
9. "Like a Prayer"
10. "Ray of Light"
11. "Sorry"
12. "Express Yourself"
13. "Open Your Heart"
14. "Borderline"
15. "Secret"
16. "Erotica"
17. "Justify My Love"
18. "Celebration"

1. "Dress You Up"
2. "Material Girl"
3. "La Isla Bonita"
4. "Papa Don't Preach"
5. "Lucky Star"
6. "Burning Up"
7. "Crazy For You"
8. "Who's That Girl"
9. "Frozen"
10. "Miles Away"
11. "Take a Bow"
12. "Beautiful Stranger"
13. "Hollywood"
14. "Die Another Day"
15. "Don't Tell Me"
16. "Live to Tell"
17. "Cherish"
18. "Revolver"

* Madonna: Banterview With The Vampyre



  • At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Let Your Head Go said…

    Can't wait to see her give an Interview in "Nightlife" to promote this trash!

  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I think that "Sorry" and "Miles Away" (for as much as I like them) could have been jettisoned to include any of those tracks save "Playground" which I still hate. But I have to agree - overall, it's quite good, not definitive, but still, for 36 tracks, it's pretty damn decent.

  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger 17days said…

    the major omission of this track list is DEEPER AND DEEPER.

    while Angel, Causing A Commotion, True Blue and This Used To Be My Playground were bigger hits, DEEPER AND DEEPER defines an era for Madonna. and it got to #7. with only the title song represented, EROTICA is the least represented studio album. 2 songs from AMERICAN LIFE!?!?!

    to be honest though, i'm actually ecstatic about this track list. it really is an almost perfect representation of her career. i was pleasantly surprised to find that she didn't include any EVITA, and that she decided to include one of her last, great pop moments: CHERISH. and to finally have WHO'S THAT GIRL on a hits compilation, remastered, will be heaven.

  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    17 Days, gasp! You're right...I kind of overlooked the fact that "Deeper & Deeper" isn't on there! I love that jam, too.

    Dan, yeah, I woulda left off "Don't Tell Me", "Miles Away" and "Hollywood" for any of the mentioned singles. I don't mind "Sorry" so much.

    LYHG, it's actually getting bumped for Sweetie's new remix album.

  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    You know, I hadn't noticed the lack of Evita tracks, but that is kind of nice. As much as I creamed my shorts over the "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" dance mixes, they really aren't "her" songs. Although since she trotted out "You Must Love Me" on tour recently, I figured it to be a shoo-in for inclusion.

    And yes, two songs from American Life seems excessive. It was not a hit laden album by any stretch of the imagination and I'm surprised the second song included is "Hollywood" instead of the title track.

    Still, I'm sad that "I'll Remember" did not make the cut. It is one of my sentimental favorites.

    (I'm shutting up now. Perhaps I should go write on my own blog if I have this much to say!)

  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    "Sorry" and "Don't Tell Me" are the only ones I'll protest. I just think they're both so tired, and to include them at the expense of bon fide hits like "I'll Remember" and "Angel" is a rotten thing to do.

    Yay for "Who's That Girl" and "Cherish," though.

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Pure J.Me said…

    My musings on the track list can be read on my blog:


  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    Sorry is massive! I would never have included Hollywood.

    Don't Tell Me is probably there because it is one of her most intelligent pop songs - one of her most challenging and a highlight of her Mirwais moment.

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger will said…

    Yes, agreed "Deeper and Deeper" is worlds more significant than "Die Another Day". Do fans ever have any say?? Anyway, why the hell am I complaining.. I already have all this stuff anyway. I should just buy the "Celebration" single only as a big F-U to all of this.

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    Leaving off "Miles Away" and replacing it with "Deeper and Deeper" would have made this fairly perfect.

    It also might have been nice to kind of group the songs into "early" "mid" and "newer", because it's sort of jarring to jump from 2007 Madonna to 1984 Madonna. At least for me it is. That's like throwing an Andrews Sisters song in the middle of an album by Goldfrapp.

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger K.I.A.T.W.F. said…

    The sequencing is completely nutty as are the exclusions of "Human Nature" and "Deeper and Deeper" (!!!) and any of the ones you listed. (Except "True Blue" cuz I just can not ever, ever approve of that song.)

    But, really, this thing is destined to sell about 19 copies so who cares.

  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Hooker In The USA said…


    Make that 20 copies, doll. Ingrid Casares always buys an extra copy to stick up her isla bonita.

  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Johnny said…

    What the hell is Miles Away doing on there, wasn't Give It 2 Me a bigger single. I barely even noticed Miles Away was released. If it was up to me I'd have included Dear Jessie, You'll See and You Must Love Me. Another two favourites of mine are Oh Father and Nothing Fails but they were never gonna make the cut.

  • At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Johnny said…

    I also forgot to mention Me Against The Music which was an absolute massive hit. i think it deserves to have a place on this!

  • At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Gordon said…

    Sequenced after 4 Minutes, Holiday is never going to sound so good.

    I am very surprised Deeper & Deeper is not there seeing as it's so catchy.

    And This Used To Be My Playground is miles better than you know what.

  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger CokeZero said…

    So is this the worldwide tracklist or just for the US?

  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    How much more raped will the Single Disc collection be?

    Or perhaps it'll include every song, just sped up double time to sound like Madonna during the LAV era... or during the ReInvention Tour

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    And where is Rain? I'm surprised the very week Miles Away made it over some of the omissions mentioned and Rain. Bleh!

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    Here is a great chance to drive a large number of visitors to your blogs and websites for free.

    Submit your websites, blogs, videos to http://www.zillionsb.com and get 1000s of targeted visitors everyday for free. It also helps your websites/blogs gain valuable backlinks.

    Let the other bloggers cast their votes to push your posts up for a greater visibility. Enjoy a free, huge traffic to your sites.



  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



  • At 4:06 AM, Blogger Meiqing Xu said…

Post a Comment

<< Home