dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Paula Abdul Leaving Is The Beginning Of The End For 'American Idol'

Let's face it, even though Paula Abdul announced (via the increasingly-viable communication outlet Twitter) last night that she'd not be returning for American Idol's ninth (!) season, the writing had been on the wall for quite some time.

There had been all kinds of stories flying around last fall that Paula was unhappy on the show, and that she was shopping around her own talk show. (Can you imagine? That would be class!)

Hell, I caught her on the Home Shopping Network last week, hocking jewelry. Does a gainfully employed, million-dollar-earning American Idol judge really need to go on cable and sell earrings at 10 p.m.?

And forget Kara whatshername—Simon Cowell needs a true foil, a polar opposite, and that person was always zoned-out Paula.

Truthfully, this show has been coasting for about the last four or five years. But now more than ever—without Paula's eyebrow-raising gushing, gurgling, glazed-over "what did she just say?" moments—it just ain't gonna be the same.

Here's what Paula twaddled on Twitter:
"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to #IDOL. I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all ...being a part of a show that I helped from day1become an international phenomenon ... What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me ... It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month ... I do without any doubt have the BEST fans in the entire world and I love you all."
Straight up.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

  • At 12:15 PM, Anonymous shanaynay lachild said…

    child, Paula left the building a long time ago - on her Vicodin carriage.

    da only difference now is they ain't payin her ass.

    look like "cold hearted" fox "knocked out" that ho 4 good.

    don't worry girl, u still got "the promise of a new day" hawking all your "vibeology" jewry on qvc.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Enchanting Encounters said…

    I wonder who is going to replace her, maybe someone from Americas Got Talent...or Mario Lopez...lol

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Chrystal K. said…

    I wonder what the show will be like now.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Sean Hathaway said…

    if Idol loses Paula, they will lose a huge draw for the show... sometimes i wonder why they even bother trying to act like it's a "seriously judged" talent show; it looks like even Simon is getting bored

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Technology Slice said…

    It sounds like Paula got a little greedy.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Rush Rush said…

    Gentlemen, I'm just here for the music!

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Blowing Sailors In The Wind said…

    Seriously, I think that show's over without Paula. Love her, hate her or self-medicate like her, she was definitely Simon's foil and a huge talking point for everyone.

    PAULA, I LOVE YOU!

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Anonymous web said…

    without you it must be over... we miss you.. good bye.

     
  • At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Johnny D said…

    I guess that Paula brought some kind of messed up, kind hearted, misjudged, spaced out, delirous, vicodin induced HUMANITY to the cold, calculated, artifical, clinical machine that is Idol.

    I think they'll probably squeeze out one last season then that will be it.

    Kudos to Kara, I mean the bitch wrote Spinning Around for Kylie Minogue so she's not stupid, but she doesn't bring the charisma needed for the show. I guess that's why she's a songwriter, not a star in her own right....

    Que sera sera.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Move Out Of My Way said…

    Paula also wrote Spinning Around, DEAR!

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous oPaul said…

    Media TakeOut says that J.Lo's "people" are actively in talks with AI's "people" because she wants this job BAD.

    I believe it.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Adem With An E said…

    Did I hear correctly that Cyndi Lauper might be replacing her?!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    ooo it's just like when Sharon left X Factor. It will probably carry on for a while - but surely it's on it's last days. Not sure how much longer X Factor can last really though...

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Gordon said…

    Oh Cyn would be great - Simon wouldn't stand a chance against her. If J-Lo does it, I hope she can reel in Posh to (sing My Love Is For Real) give the contestants some 'fashion tips' or just a go on David.

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Call Pat Benatar!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Bad Credit said…

    I don't know how Simon deals with her. The funniest thing I have ever seen was in that movie Bruno. So awkward - yet so funny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home