dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Peter Andre Is So 2000-And-Late

For about seven months last year I whored myself out by anonymously writing celebrity gossip garbage for the low-rent site Celebuzz. (Hey, I had bills to pay!) One of the few highlights was when I got to crank out posts about Katie Price and her hapless husband, seemingly-washed-up pop star Peter Andre.

Katie was always either schlepping around some club, getting plastic surgery in L.A., doing a book signing in London, or hocking her line of pink equestrian sportswear. And all the while, Peter was either absent or in the background.

So it's no shocker that the couple announced their separation a few months back. But meanwhile, who'd have thunk that Peter would someday manage to score another Top 10 hit? This week, on the U.K. singles chart, "Behind Closed Doors" goes in at #4.

"Behind The Doors"is now his 10th single to make the Top 10 in his home country. Let's chalk it up to pity downloads?

Just above Andre, at #3, comes Calvin Harris' latest single, the superb "Ready For The Weekend." It's a shame it didn't make it to #1. After all, do we really need this much Black Eyed Peas?

Here are the vids for "Behind Closed Doors" and "Ready For The Weekend":



Elsewhere, hoo-rah for Little Boots squeaking up to #10 with "Remedy, and for Lily Allen popping in at #37 with "22" two weeks ahead of its official release date.

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "I Gotta Feeling" - The Black Eyed Peas *2 weeks*
2. "Never Leave You" - Tinchy Stryder feat. Amelle
3. "Ready For The Weekend" - Calvin Harris *new*
4. "Behind Closed Doors" - Peter Andre *new*
5. "Sweet Dreams" - Beyonce
6. "Supernova" - Mr Hudson feat. Kanye West
7. "Beat Again" - JLS
8. "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" - Pitbull
9. "Get Shaky" - The Ian Carey Project
10. "Remedy" - Little Boots

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    firstly, hurrah for Little Boots finally and deservedly going top 10. Secondly, no one needs this much BEP. Thirdly, I think the Peter Andre position shows how repulsed England is with hideous Katie and need to show their Andre love somehow.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    I actually thought "Behind closed doors" by Peter Andre would be a good song but it is pretty bad. Since I live in the US, I did not really follow any of the Peter Andre - Katie Price drama. I didn't even know who she was until I saw her and Peter Andre on a TV interview with Jonathan Ross on BBC. I think she is pretty damned hot but certifiably annoying. Peter Andre has had some redeeming moments musically ("I feel you" and "Natural") and I was hoping the new material would add to that list of promising moments. Sadly, "behind closed doors" is absolute crap.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Robpop said…

    Go little Boots!!! Though...I think she should have done better.

    peter andre needs to go to the naughty step and never return.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    England is not Peter Andre's homeland - he's Australian and actually used to live next door to Dannii. Yes, he's actually that classy!

    I'm glad he's back but he'll never top Funky Junky in my book.

    And another flop for Little Boots. Time to pull the plug, I think.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Mike, au contraire— P. Andre was born in the U.K., raised in Australia, but now lives back in England. I wonder if he ever peaked into Dannii's dirty boxx down under?

    Robpop, I think ever Jo Frost wouldn't waste her breath sending Peter to the naughty step...though she might let him pet her tit.

    Pranav, sorry, chylde, but Katie Price looks like a telephone pole with two silicone-filled Hefty bags stapled to it.

    Paul, hoo-rizzy, indeed.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Andrew said…

    I feel so bad for Ms. Little Boots. The poor thing had so much hype around her and it is not translating into much chart success. I for one blame that howler monkey from La Roux. Number ten however, is not that bad. I really hope Remedy will at least make it into the top 5 next week though since the physical cd is being released tomorrow. After Remedy then it is time for Earthquake to be the next single. I have a feeling it is going to be Mathematics though. :(

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Jo Frost's Naughty Spot said…

    I was disappointed that it wasn't a cover of Charlie Rich's "Behind Closed Doors."

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger undisco_me said…

    Well he did achieve 2 top 5 hits with Insania and a re-release of an old hit. I liked Flava so wouldn't mind his return if he did something like that again, which he won't.

    I am hoping Katie will finally release 'Not Just Anybody - The Album'.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    I do have to agree with the "silicon bags" comment - not so much with the telephone pole bit though!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home