dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Shut Up And Sing, Kelly Clarkson!

Does anyone else think Kelly Clarkson needs to stick a cork in her yap already about this "Already Gone" vs. "Halo" business—the two songs Ryan Tedder wrote for her and Beyonce, respectively?

If you missed it, here's what Kelly had to say last week to Canada's CBC news about "Already Gone," her third single off All I Ever Wanted —which she apparently "fought" to get axed from her album once she heard "Halo":
"No-one's going to be sitting at home, thinking 'Man, Ryan Tedder gave Beyonce and Kelly the same track to write to'. No, they're just going to be saying I ripped someone off. I called Ryan and said, 'I don't understand. Why would you do that?'"
Has Kelly lost her marbles? That's like saying all Max Martin songs—or RedOne songs, or Stock Aitken Waterman songs, or Timbaland songs—sound the same. Ok, they do, but that's the nature of a producer creating their trademark sound. It comes with the territory. And it's also a given when you work with a trendy producer!

Gotta love how it doesn't bother her when two of her own songs sound exactly the same. "My Life Would Suck Without You" and "Since U Been Gone," for instance?

Anyway, here's what Ryan Tedder is now saying to the press:
"'Already Gone' is one of the best songs I've written or produced since [Leona Lewis'] 'Bleeding Love' and stands tall on its own merits apart from 'Halo'. I think when people hear 'Already Gone' they will hear what I hear—one of the greatest female vocalists on earth giving her most haunting and heart-breaking performance on a song she helped write. I challenge people to listen and form their own opinions."
Careful, Kelly—Ryan Tedder and Max Martin are major songwriter/producers. Your life would suck without them.

That said, lest anyone think I'm a huge Ryan Tedder fan, that's not the case. Enough of the tripe. Set the drum machine to up-tempo, already.

Labels: , , , ,


  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I am on Team Kelly. This Tedder bitch gave her the same f'ing song! He is overexposed and craptastic in my book.

    Kelly, if you read this, D'luv is a mean boy and you need to be MY BFF forever. xo

  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    I'm certainly not Team Ryan. I don't think they're the same song. That's like saying William Orbit did the same songs for Madonna that he did for All Saints, U2, etc.

    Well, actually, Madonna did pretty much record the same William Orbit song over and over and over. See, I rest my case.

  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    i'd cork ryan's hole anyday :)

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    Sorry, I'm totally Team Kelly on this one! If nothing else because the label's forcing her to release this as a single against her will. INJUSTICE!

  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger hun*ter said…

    If Kelly didn't say anything, this wouldn't be an issue. She just made a fuss over it and then the blogs and media pick up on it and all of a sudden there is a "controversy". The girl does have balls though. I like how she refuses to be a pop puppet.

  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous The Best Of Both Kunts said…

    What sucks is that Kelly is a better singer than Beyonce and does a beautiful job on "Already Gone," but "Halo" already hit hard and first.

    The songs sound too much alike and it's only going to look bad for our favorite Texas lesbian. Err, our favorite Texas lesbian big belter. Err, our favorite Texas lesbian big belter with a big ass.

    Okay, they both kinda suck.

    But still, at least now Kelly will have a scapegoat now that the singlez have dried up on this album. Clive Davis did a pretty good job as the queeny ghoul who "killed" "My December."

    Yeah right, baby...

  • At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Eric said…

    I'm not a huge fan of either, but come on "D'Luv", you have to be deaf not to hear the same song. Sure, some parts are slightly different, but the opening is identical as is the overall melody and construction of the song. At the very least, the songs are far more alike then "Since You've Been Gone" and "Life would suck.." (even though I concede, they do sound similar).

    I dont blame Kelly for being defensive about it or having those fears. A release like this could hinder the "comeback" progress of this album and her own career.

  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Has Ryan Tedder written more than three top ten hits yet? Apologize, Bleeding Love, Halo... it seems his hype is a bit out of proportion to his actual success, but whatever, I guess he's gettin' paid and I can't fault him for that! Still, I wish he'd write something that didn't make me want to throw my houseplants out the window. (Although I did love Apologize.)

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger undisco_me said…

    KFC's Already Gone initially reminded me of Shelyby Lynne's Your Lies, I guess with those heart-stabbing drums.

    I think she is being too defensive, but her die-hard fans probably love the drama of it all.

    Beyonce's Halo is the much better song; singing about someone being perfect can only spell trouble.

  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger duanemoody.com said…

    I could never put my finger on why I wasn't a "fan" of Tedder's and this certainly hit the nail on the head for me (although, I say that with an obvious grain of salt, because I do LIKE some of his songs). Almost all of his songs sound just alike, and even when they don't (Battlefield), they heavily borrow from other music, and they still have that damn backing beat!! I wish he would switch it up a bit; we got that you can do this Ryan! What else have you got?!

    As for Kelly speaking up, I'm glad she mentioned it, because I am sure that there were people that thought she was copying Beyonce, and it is her prerogative to defend herself if she didn't. Good for her on saying what she felt like saying.

    Finally, there is a big difference in having a song that sounds a lot like one of your prior songs, and a song that sounds EXACTLY like another artist's; especially when the artist's song in question is a major player on the radio.

  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    I'm with Kelly on this one, too...only b/c the first five times "Already Gone" came on, I thought it was "Halo"...that says it all for me. Having said that, "Halo" is too syrupy for me..."Already Gone" all the way!

  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Scooter said…

    Gee...just two short weeks before this post from D'Luv that he was calling out the Kristinia DeBarge single "Future Love" for being a 'total rip-off' of Jordin Sparks "One Step At A Time" and now he can't hear that "Halo" and "Already Gone" are basically the same track?
    I don't think it's a coincidence that "Future Love" is also a Ryan Tedder composition. Did he rip off the tune while working with Jordin on "Battlefield" because that's how songwriters develop their trademark sounds??
    Team Kelly is totally in the right here, and though D'Luv says he's not Team Ryan, he really ought to reconsider his stance on this one.

  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Well, you do believe me when I say that Madonna's a vampire, though, don't you Scooter?

    Look! In the corner! It's her, and she's swooping down to chew your head!!!

  • At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Peregrin said…

    I found a great deal of useful material here!

  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Richard said…

    In my opinion everyone may browse on this.
    2 | 4 | my website


Post a Comment

<< Home