dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Robbie Williams' 'Bodies' Is DOA

I've tried to like your music, Robbie Williams. Really, I have. It's just that any affection for the songs that didn't bray on my nerves like a cheese grater was always fleeting. "Rock DJ" was good for about three drunken listens while shimmying at the club in 2000. "Feel," maybe two. I chalk it up to the neurotic lyrics and the self-conscious/arrogant demeanor.

So, at any rate, along comes Robbie's new single "Bodies" (boasting production credits from no less than three heavyweights—Trevor Horn, Guy Chambers and Mark Ronson). Below is a 30-ish second clip of the video. I'd have posted the full song clip, but, well, you pretty much get the idea from this:



Sorry, but Robbie really hasn't had a truly great song since Take That's "Everything Changes." Or "Could It Be Magic," the one where Gary Barlow wrote that producer Ian Levine tried to pass another, more soulful singer off as Williams for half the song.

Now that was a good jam.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    RT: It's very kitchen sink, all Robbie songs rolled into one as a Welcome Back. And that Bodhi Tree shit is so HellLay.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Did you just re-Tweet a comment?! You whore.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger supergroupie said…

    I actually love it! But I loved Rudebox so I clearly have no taste.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    Yeah it's fucking dire.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    I gave it a chance. It has a beat. If he didn't try to be so deep n' meaningful all the time, he might make a good record. Oh wait, that was Rudebox. Never mind!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    bah humbug! I like it :) A lot.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    I've had this track playing on repeat for two consecutive days. I absolutely love it - and I am not even much of a Robbie Williams fan. This is undoubtedly the first track of his since "No Regrets" that has grabbed me instantly.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Me No Bubblicious said…

    This song made me reenact the "Rock DJ" video!

    Sigh, the sweet, Robbie-Williams-free silence of flesh-ripping death.

    #1!!!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger will said…

    agreed. not loving it at all. with all those producers on it, you'd have expected a bit more. i reserve more opinion on this till i hear more from the album.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    Oh, I love your blog, so I wish I could agree about Robbie Williams. But I think Bodies is really good - and it's better than the new Cheryl and the new Leona. Both of them have played it safe...too safe. And Robbie has put out a proper pop song that everyone can relate to and is catchy. PLEASE Robbie help Kylie again on her new album!

    But then again, if everyone agreed, how boring would that be?

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i really love it!

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its a great comeback single. Blogger fails at being controversial.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home