dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Turn Up The LIGHTS

I've had a promo of electro-pop broad LIGHTS' forthcoming album The Listening (out on Sire/Warner Bros. on October 6) sitting here for about a month or so, and I finally dug it out on Sunday.

Listening to it kind of gives the same feeling as the first time I heard Michelle Branch's The Spirit Room many moons ago—I can't believe this surprisingly mature, dreamy pop music is coming from a 22-year-old!

There really isn't a filler track on the whole LP, and hopefully LIGHTS gets as much press and hype as La Roux, Lady GaGa, Little Boots, etc. Because she deserves it.

Here's the video clip of LIGHTS' new single "Saviour" (available on iTunes now), which sounds like it should be on the soundtrack of some fantasy flick a la Stardust:



  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Andrew said…

    I have not heard the full album yet but the extra track that came with Saviour, The Listening is pretty fantastic. She kind of reminds me of Vanessa Carlton a little.

  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Robpop said…

    Shes adorable!

  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Mommy's Got PMS And A Gun said…

    I love the song, except when she tries to belt on the chorus and you can hear all the raggedy little-girl edges of her voice.

    I'm reminded of the vomitous "Sometimes"-era Brit Brit...and it makes mother want to CUT SOMEONE!

  • At 4:39 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    People do seem to love her. Maybe I should finally check her out. I haven't had much lileth fair fare in my life lately (other than Lenka and Marit Larsen of course)

  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Daft Monk said…

    True enough that she doesn't seem to be getting as much press but perhaps others suspect Lights is a major label attempt to cash in on the latest craze. In this case diy female electropop. Specifically there seems to be a big attempt to sell her as Little Boots since you can find webcam videos of her doing covers, in the video she is playing a unique synth in her bedroom and even her website iamlight.com sounds an awful lot like the twitter.com/iamlittleboots. Lights music seems overly produced, like those super processed vocals, more remincent of the previously mention Britney than an artist in her own right. That being said if I could stand "Savior" I would give her a pass but her music just doesn't work for me.

  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous shanaynay lachild said…

    agreed anonymous.

    when its all auto tune its like da lights r on but no ho is home!


Post a Comment

<< Home