dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Viva La Mini Viva!

First up, apologies for the lack of posts this past week. My poor laptop is down to about its last few electrical giga-breaths. Granted, I've had it since November 2004, two months before I started Chart Rigger, so it's had quite a long run.

I dropped it off to have it jump-started like an old hooker heading out on the whorepath for one last hurrah. Hopefully it'll be ready for pickup asap in the coming week.

And, talk of hookers brings us rather naturally to Pixie Lott, who has yet another chart-topping single in the U.K. this week, with "Boys & Girls." I bet Amy Winehouse sees Pixie and screams in horror at how, this far down the line, she's managed to spawn an army of imitators—and especially one as cheap as this broad.

Me, I much prefer my pop dames to be in the form of Mini Viva, who this week land their Xenomania-produced jam "Left My Heart In Tokyo" at #7.



While at first there doesn't seem to be too much to differentiate Mini Viva from the usual Brit girlie pop Xenomania crank out, there's something quite infectious about "Left My Heart In Tokyo" after a point. By all rights this shoulda come out as a by-the-numbers track, but it sort of turned out to be a happy accident, maybe?

This finally brings us to Bananarama's "Love Comes," which debuts at #44. To be honest, I thought it would have done much worse, so color me strangely pleased with that chart position.

And color me outta here. It's a beautiful Sunday outside. Ciao!

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "Boys & Girls" - Pixie Lott *1 week*
2. "Sexy Bitch" - David Guetta feat. Akon
3. "Run This Town" - Jay-Z feat. Rihanna & Kanye West
4. "We Are Golden" - Mika
5. "Holiday" - Dizzee Rascal
6. "I Gotta Feeling" - The Black Eyed Peas
7. "Left My Heart In Tokyo" - Mini Viva *new*
8. "Get Sexy" - Sugababes
9. "Uprising" - Muse
10. "Remedy" - Little Boots

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    I'm not impressed with Pixie or Mini Viva. The Brits really have shit taste. I'm kind of devestated for Bananarama. Particularly after the shit singles from "Drama" made the top 20.

    By the way, why no mention of the amazing Temper Trap leaping into the top 20? or Livvi Franc's stunning #40 smash hit "Now I'm That Bitch"!?!

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger John said…

    My first instinct was to say that "Tokyo" was make or break for MV, but folks will be saying that for their next record and the record after that. The song is so much better than it sounds on paper, and hopefully the songs that follow will be just as fun, critics be damned.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger daavid said…

    I like that MV got to the top 10, but at the same time I feel that Xenomania have gotten too cocky lately and this will probably only reinforce their superiority complex...

    As for Bananarama, I don't get it, the single is actually very listenable.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Sweet Scoop said…

    When are you covering The Miss Lolitas? "Party Starters" is THE jam of our era!!

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Boo you Mike :) We may have shit taste but we occassionally get it right :P I'm quite liking Mini Viva even if in my head it is the Girls Aloud comeback single over that Cherevyl Cole dirge. And yay for your positive spin on the Bananarama position. Love it :)

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Poster Girl said…

    The Mini Viva debut album is one of my most anticipated of the year!

    "Love Comes" just came out of nowhere to be one of the most fun songs of summer for me.

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Felix said…

    It can't really have effect, I believe this way.
    this site

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Shane said…

    Thanks a lot for info. to state more, please call on my site because this is a site having truly valuable stuff to watch.
    8

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It will not really have success, I feel this way.
    check 3 | you may here | check 5 look here | nice 4 | do not forget here also 9 | nice 4

     

Post a Comment

<< Home