dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Michael Jackson's New Song 'This Is It'

Below is the "new" Michael Jackson song, "This Is It." Wikipedia's entry for the tune says that, while there's no confirmation on when "This Is It" was recorded, there's speculation that it was a reject from the Dangerous (1991) album.

To me it sounds very mid-'60s-era Motown, by way of a slowed-down "Will You Be There"-esque beat—if you can call those finger pops a beat. It kinda needs some drums.

But overall, not bad.



  • At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    Absolutely LOVE the song!!! Been playing it on repeat since last night. A timeless classic. Not too sure about the comparison to "will you be there". I actually thought that song was a snoozefest.

  • At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Michele said…

    I don't hate it. He sounds lovely, so I think he would be pleased that this particular choice was made. I think it will continue to grow on me until radio stations overplay it until I want to put an ice pick through my eye to distract me from the pain.

  • At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Toy Boxxx said…

    I'll admit--I got a little weepy towards the end where you hear Macaulay Culkin sippin' Jesus Juice and riding the five-fingered sequin pony to Falsetto Town!

  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger Paul said…


  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really? You have nothing to say about the fact that this is a zombie-song, released from beyond the grave? It doesn't even occur to you that the release of this song, after the artist's death, is just a LITTLE bit in bad taste? A tad inappropriate?

    Why does every media-scrounging pop-music-whore have to act like Jacko's death was some kind of belated carreer move that unfortunately necessitated the cancelation of his upcoming tour, but still brought him back into the charts and bought him lots of new fans? Wtf is wrong with people!! It's like his death is just a new stage in his carreer, like Madonna's vampirification- releasing DVDs, singles... what's next guys, a coffin clothing line? Whatever.

    I'd say 'rest in peace' Michael but it's so unlikely I won't even bother.

  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Pop Goes The World And The Weasel said…

    Jacko's death WAS the next stage in his career and inevitable. Some people just become so famous (or infamous) that they no longer truly belong to themselves.

    I don't think this one song being released (which, to my understanding was completely finished vocally well before 2009) is as grisly as the thousands of posthumous chart-topping albums Tupac "put out."

    I have a feeling we'll see at least one "unreleased sessions" type album, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Although it's dangerous (Jacko pun) to compare pop culture with great works of art, if a previously unreleased Picasso painting or Jane Austen novel were uncovered somehow, the world would want to know about it.

    Same with our dear, dead Jacko. I'm sure he has thousands of unreleased songs, and there is something to be said for making them available to not only the public, but to the critics, to fully understand and appreciate his musical legacy.

    I definitely agree that there is quite a large distasteful side to all of this grave-robbing, and the Jackson family will most likely try to capitalize as much as possible with little regard to truly respecting Michael's memory, but if you ignore all the media hype and fuckery, it is something special to know that there is new MJ music out there.

    Let the media do what they want with Jacko and his memory, but let his music--however it comes to us, cobbled together by greedy producers or not--belong to the fans and to his legacy.

    Fuck, that was sincere. BAZORT!

  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Michele said…

    I just hope that the proceeds benefit his kids more than the producers and his family. I think I read somewhere that the unreleased songs were meant for that purpose. He always believed he would die young, and these songs were his way of providing for his children from beyond the grave.

    Toy Boxx: Demented and tasteless, but funny. I felt guilty, but I did chuckle.

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Mr. Will-W. said…

    Three thumbs down. Including the one between my legs.

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Wow—Jacko, ever as polarizing, even from beyond the dirt nap.

  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Boniface said…

    Pretty effective info, thanks for the post.
    site | 1 | here


Post a Comment

<< Home