dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

How Did I Miss Natalie Powers Covering Laura Branigan's 'Shattered Glass'?

After mentioning Scooch in the decade roundup, I got to wondering what the hell the British cheese-pop quartet have been up to since their brief return in 2007. And, I know the group's main vocalist Natalie Powers has been trying to eke out a solo career for about 47 years now, but who knew she covered Laura Branigan's Stock Aitken Waterman classic "Shattered Glass"—and that it got a single release in 2009?

There are 11 mixes of Natalie's slightly watered down "Shattered Glass" available on U.S. iTunes and Amazon MP3 store. The best bangs for your buck are the Starlab Radio Edit (listen below) and Starlab Club Mix.

Natalie, babe, you're no Laura Branigan. But this is still kind of pleasant, in a hypnotic, what-else-am-I-gonna-use-my-iTunes-gift-card-on kind of way.

Ironically, Moogaboo just emailed me this 1988 clip of Laura performing "Shattered Glass" in Chile. Wait for the disco kick at 2:10!

* England Makes It's Mind Up, Scooch To Fly The Flag At Eurovision
* Banterview: There's No Pop Justice For Scooch
* Scooch Fly Into The U.K. Top 5

Labels: , , ,


  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    I got all excited and thought it was "Walking on Broken Glass," but have since discovered that I need my gay card revoked, as that is Annie Lennox. I was born in 1988 though, so I think I get a freebie?

    What do you think of Ke$ha's new album? It's pop heaven! Here's my review: http://pcrowl.tumblr.com/

  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Cristián said…

    LMAOF! Disco kick at 2:10 in perfect sync with explosion sound has me cracking up all over. Can't stop repeating it!

    And she goes again at 2:56 and 3:12 impersonating the explosion this time with a savage hair-to-the-wind head shake.

    Oh, Laura dear, you gave us all those happy years. We'll love you forever.

  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    Cristián, I think I was so enthralled by the disco kick that I somehow didn't see the fabulous head shakes. POWER!!!

    As for the Natalie version, what a weird coincidence, D'Luv. The Starlab mix is very nice.... and see, I can get through an entire post without saying "SHE'S NO LAURA."


  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Moog, power indeed. And, ooops! Thanks for catching that it's Starlab and not Starland, as I'd written....skyrocketz in flight, y'all!

    Cristián, dying over"savage hair-to-the-wind head shake!"

    Patrick, haven't listened to the leak yet...but will check out your review asap!

  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    Thanks for posting this - once again, a song I would not have known about had it not been for Chart Rigger.

    I always felt like the record companies didn't quite know what to do with Laura Branigan - is she adult contemporary? is she Euro-disco? What? But "Shattered Glass" is definitely a high point.

  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous french-fry'd said…

    this sounds like a radio disney remake of a laura brannigan classic.

    nat-nat's childish voice lacks the necessary drama to even match up to the original.

    a rule of thumb on remakes: if you can't do it different and better - please don't bother (and that includes you Nikki French!)


Post a Comment

<< Home