dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Guess "Telephone" Is Finally Kind Of A Hit

Wow. After four months of floundering around on the Billboard Hot 100, Lady Gaga and Beyonce's "Telephone" finally manages to climb up to a respectable #3. This seems to be the pattern with her, though—release a single, wait a few months to unleash the OTT video and then the song suddenly gets its momentum on the chart. Kind of makes you wonder how well a Gaga single not accompanied by a music video would fare?

At any rate, as mentioned last week, "Telephone" is Lady Gaga's sixth Top 10 single, and now becomes her fifth one to crack the Top 5 (with only "Paparazzi"—a far better jam than "Telephone," if you want my two cents—peaking at the lowly #6 last fall).

All the usual suspects (The Script, Adam Lambert, etc.) make only minor movements this week, so let's just end by noting that La Roux's "Bulletproof" jumps from #80 to #71, while Ke$ha's "Your Love Is My Drug" re-enters the chart at #91.

Whatever. She's on my hooker list for wimping out over her Britney diss.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Rude Boy" - Rihanna *2 weeks*
2. "Nothin' On You" - B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars
3. "Telephone" - Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce
4. "Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum
5. "Break Your Heart" - Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris
6. "Imma Be" - The Black Eyed Peas
7. "Hey, Soul Sister" - Train
8. "Bedrock" - Young Money feat. Lloyd
9. "TiK ToK" - Ke$ha
10. "Baby" - Justin Bieber

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Filthy Pussy said…

    Wait until the gonzo vid for "Skinny Little Bitch" hits! C-C-C-C-C-Courtney Bomb will DECIMATE the chartz and alter the pop landscape forever!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    It is interesting that you raise the question as to how well a Lady Gaga single would fare if it did NOT have a music video accompanying it. I think careers of artists whose image/visual impact are inextricably linked are relatively short-lived. I mean, we all know that "images" do not withstand the passage of time while the music (stripped of the image) typically does. I have to confess to not being a Lady Gaga fan. I don't think she's bad but I don't think she is great either and I really think of her as an image-based entity. But who knows. Maybe she might surprise everyone on a follow-up album and show pure musical credibility that doesn't require any "image packaging". Bands have done that in the past. Lady Gaga just might be the next to follow that tradition (which is a positive thing).

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    In my last comment..I meant to say the music is inextricably linked with the image/visual impact.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    I think any song that's top 5 after 16 weeks can definitely be called a hit! I'm actually kind of surprised, I thought it had lost momentum and would circle around the top 15 but the video has made all the difference. It's frustrating because I think it would have been #1 if the clip had been released 2 months ago.

    Now tell me, why hasn't Shontelle's stunning new jam "Impossible" charted? Where's your shontelligence, h8trs?!!!

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.examiner.com/x-13907-DC-GLBT-Arts-Examiner~y2010m3d26-Rude-Boy-extends-Rihannas-lead-for-most-weeks-at-number-1

    I loves me some Riri at #1 :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home