dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Now All Alex Gardner Needs To Do Is Let Loose

HAPPY EASTER! And hooray for Scouting For Girls and their damn #1 UK single this week, "This Ain't A Love Song." But poor Alex Gardner—the 18-year-old Xenomania-produced crooner didn't even crack the Top 40 with his rather excellent single "I'm Not Mad." (It debuted at #44.)

Once again, here's what you're missing out on, the UK!



And so "I'm Not Mad" will go down as another sadly lost gem that was touted in the blogosphere—and one that truly deserved the hype!—but overlooked by the general record-buying/music downloading public.

[Heavy sigh] Unless of course, Alex is somehow able to enact a miracle and pull a Let Loose, and get a re-release of "I'm Not Mad," much as LL did when "Crazy For You" failed to go Top 40 the first time around in 1994, and land that fucker at #2.



Yeah, never gonna happen. But I gotta dig that Let Loose album out now. Because let's face it—"Seventeen" = total jam!

The U.K. Top 10:

1. "This Ain't A Love Song" - Scouting For Girls *new* *1 week*
2. "Telephone" - Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce
3. "She Said" - Plan B *new*
4. "History Makers" - Delirious? *new*
5. "Pass Out" - Tinie Tempah
6. "Rude Boy" - Rihanna
7. "Baby" - Justin Bieber
8. "OMG" - Usher feat. Will.i.am
9. "Hot" - Inna
10. "Parachute" - Cheryl Cole

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger John said…

    I just haven't gotten the Alex hype, and sad to say for him, neither has the UK public. Do we need to now have a conversation about Xenomania being music chart poison? Their most brilliant tracks ("Untouchable" by GA, "I Wish" by Mini Viva", etc) don't seem to be performing to the level that they should be.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    and let loose are still going?! Who knew?! I have been rediscovering the classy music of Sean Maguire (now a total hottie) and uh The Cult of Ant & Dec this weekend. Because i'm hip like that. I think you would appreciate the latter...

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Gareth said…

    I'm a bit of an old fogey when it comes to what's being hyped. I don't read the music press and depend for what's new in the British music scene on my Saturday night's out in Duckie. So I had no idea who Alex Gardner was when I saw your tweet. But I rather liked it.

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    "Crazy for you" by Let Loose is one of my favorite tracks from the 90s. Thanks for mentioning it. The other two tracks by them that I absolutely love are"make it with you" and "best in me". Let Loose returned last year with a new incarnation (only one original member remains - the lead singer) and a new album called "Paint it in gold". The title track of the album is pretty good.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger rcLoy said…

    The fab I'm Not Mad is not charted but Bieber is? Ugh, bad aftertaste :(

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Anonymous TheP0PAvenger said…

    Not sure what the deal is with the unconditional Alex love. It's an interesting song, but Alex lacks personality and a strong voice to add any volume to an interesting (yet hardly revolutionary) Xenomania backing track. Better luck next time, but I cant say I'm hardly surprised by the poor charting.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger vince said…

    Alex Gardner is brillant. Young and just getting his feet wet. He has the package but is still getting it together. As far as Alex as an Artist and Vocal he has that taken care of. A++ Love his Sound and He really can put emotion and felling into his music. OUT CLASSES Bieber. That kid is just another hype. Alex is an Individual with style and someone you will remember. Just a little polish on the Diamond.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Georgia said…

    I think that Alex Gardner is amazing, his voice is so good and mature even he's still young. Cant wait for what else he'll do. Such a shame he hasn't done as good as he should. I can understand why the public havent caught onto Alex though, the start of the song is weak and let's down the rest of the song which is excellent.

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Bryce said…

    Thanks very much for info. I may observe that you can drop in on my site as it is the site having really good things to watch.
    9

     

Post a Comment

<< Home