dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Anyone Else Not Feeling New Scissor Sisters Single "Fire With Fire"?

I guess I'll be the one blogger who isn't shoving a Scissor Sisters dildo up their can over new single "Fire With Fire." Don't get me wrong, I like the band enough. In fact, "Invisible Light," the first song they previewed off upcoming album Night Work, is fantastic.

So why the hell isn't that the first single? I'm not quite getting the logic of releasing this album-track-at-best, plodding number as the lead tune.



It's odd that in a new era where pop is being embraced by radio worldwide, the Sisters opted for this instead of a more "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'"-esque jam.

In fact, "Fire With Fire" makes me want to dig out The Killers' Sam's Town—and that's never a good thing. Oh, well. Still looking forward to the album.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger countpopula said…

    Um, OK, now totally confused. You loved the Kylie which was uptempo dance stuff produced by Stuart Price, but you don't like this, which is uptempo stuff produced by Stuart Price? I know it's in a major key, unlike the darker, more fabulous Invisible Light, but still, it's a better first single, innit? Especially if they want Americans to buy it (I'm talking the masses). Probably a record company decision, but it's still a great pop song...maybe you just need to hear it mindblowingly loud.

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Countpopula, well, I don't just fall for anything Stuart Price touches. After all, I think Confessions On A Dancefloor had about two okay songs on it, and even those I grew tired of sometime in '06.

    I think the problem is the lack of a hook in "Fire With Fire." I like how it builds, but there's no real melodic payoff, is there?

     
  • At 3:32 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    i think/hope that you will "get it" at some point. i am finding it rather enjoyable but then i loved Sam's Town :P

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like it much better than the falsetto stuff they've done in the past.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger John said…

    I get what you're saying, and "Invisible Light" is pretty epic, but it's not even close to a radio single. I'd compare it to "Comfortably Numb", which did go to #10 in the UK, but didn't fare as well elsewhere. Their popularity has cooled enough at this point that they really have to go for the mainstream appeal. No matter how things go, I'm very eager to hear the full album.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger countpopula said…

    I actually agree that not everything SP touches is gold, but I thought this was one of his best recent efforts, and while the chorus isn't necessarily profound in the lyric department, the rest of the song does take you somewhere. It also has the distinction of managing to avoid the lyrical morass that the Killers seemed to get criticised with for with "Human" (are we dancer?).

    I just played COAD again last week for the first time in over two years. A tremendous sonic achievement, yes, although maybe American Life or Hard Candy might contain better songs. Sometimes the production can ruin good songs, or it can elevate weak ones. Average songs are easier to ignore than overly ambitious experimentation or poor production when it comes to pop music.

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Blogger Mie Helal said…

Post a Comment

<< Home