dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Rick Astley's New Single "Lights Out" Sounds Like Coldplay

Rick Astley has a single being released in the UK for the first time in 17 years. "Lights Out," which sounds like Coldplay meets Take That—but strangely sexier, because it is, after all, Rick Astley—is being released June 7 via Polydor.



Meanwhile, two-disc deluxe editions of Rick's first two albums, Whenever You Need Somebody and Hold Me In Your Arms, were released last month.

Also issued were special editions for Big Fun's A Pocketful Of Dreams and Hazell Dean's Heart First.

Commence bank robbing now.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger John said…

    Despite how desperate and contrived this is, I like it. I wonder if the rest of his material has a similar sound.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I have to say I like this as well. But I also liked the Free album so I guess I'll like just about anything he does.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger xolondon said…

    If this WERE the new Take That song, everyone would be clamoring for it.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    @John, I don't think it's desperate at all, soundwise...no more than Take That aping James Blunt's "sound" for comeback single "Patience" was, at least. Agree that it'll be interesting to hear the rest of the material.

    Dan, did you like his 2001 jam "Sleeping"? It was only released in Germany, if I recall correctly, but was pretty good!

    XO, they either need something upbeat for the lead single off the next album, or a superb ballad a la "Rule The World."

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Anonymous JamesB said…

    I think Rik's latest is Ok just not the sort of thing you'd expect him to do. It reminded me of something that Daltry would sing.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Beddschick said…

    Great new track, hope it makes it big as Rick Astley deserves it, saw him Friday night at the MEN supporting Peter Kaye & he was Brill

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love it. It's so catchy and perfect in every way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home