dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Ace Of Base Return With "All For You"

It's reunion fever on Planet Pop these days. But too bad only half of the original Ace Of Base members are on board for their second coming. (Last year they lost Jenny, while Linn had departed after 1998 album Flowers.)

Yes, now Ulf and Jonas have two new broads in the ranks, Clara Hagman and Julia Williamson. (Note: this is nothing new, as they were talking about adding at least one new member as far back as last summer.) I recall there being some drama when Jenny posted messages on Twitter saying that the band wouldn't be called Ace Of Base as long as the original members weren't taking part. Well, so much for that.

Below is 28 seconds of new single "All For You," which is being sent out to European radio today.



On one hand, as an AOB fan from day one, I want to rail against this new version of the band. Unfortunately this song is mucking it all up by sounding fantastic...

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Box.Of.Lace said…

    You totally left out the band's new name.

    "... I recall there being some drama when Jenny posted messages on Twitter saying that the band wouldn't be called Ace Of Base as long as the original members weren't taking part. Well, so much for that."

    Old Name = Ace Of Base
    New Name = Ace.Of.Base

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Anonymous the fish taco said…

    i miss the chubby original broads. no bulimia, no pussy slips, and no protools.

    these two skanks look like the flopped out of the auditions for danity kane and as lind-Z LOW-hanz backup singerz.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    I wasn't a huge fan back in the day though I loved songs like "living in danger", "don't turn around", and "the sign". The band left me quite underwhelmed after "beautiful life". I personally don't like these complete line-up makeovers of bands cos they rarely work but I too have to confess liking the little I have heard of "All for you".

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    while nothing may ever beat the sheer amazingness of The Sign and Always Have... this is very promising. I have a song called Mr Reply! Is this also the new ace of base?!

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    "Mr. Reply" or "Mr Replay" (as other sites have it) is apparently a demo that leaked the other day...

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Dwayne said…

    While this is a good song, and I may buy it if the versus are as good as the chorus, there isn't anything particularly Ace of Baseish about it. Wouldn't guess it was them if I didn't already know. Mr Replay at least is identifiable as AOB even though the vocals don't sound like any of the original members.
    I wouldn't kick it out of my bed, but I ain't gonna marry it.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Jump! said…

    More ass of bass than ace of base. Sounds a bit like generic europop than classic ace of base. I did like the snippet of "Play it live (on the radio) that was on a youtube clip with the hot guy at some party.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Kenneth Walsh said…

    Wow, Ace of Base really is "back." First Gaga covered "Don't Turn Around" (but mysteriously called it "Alejandro") and now this!

     
  • At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the clip, Robbie! I love the new song, I always liked the band, and I think the new band line-up looks hot! I can't wait to order this on Amazon.

    Martin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home