dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, December 09, 2010

U.S. Chart Roundup: No, Katy Perry, We Really Don't Need Yet Another #1 Single From Your Ass

Let's be honest, Katy Perry wore out her welcome after "Teenage Dream"—great hook, very of-the-moment, total case of "when good music happens to bad people." But this "Firework" shit is just trying too hard. And anything following "TD" was always going to be anticlimactic.

But no matter! Even after all the godawful live performances of the tune, Katy Puxxy has taken it to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week, which now gives her three straight chart-topping singles off her somewhat flop-esque Teenage Dream album. If "Peacock" really is her next single, my fingers are crossed that it peaks at #74 or something, because that one SUCKS. I'd go with "Last Friday Night", personally.

Anyway, Billboard points out that six different songs have been #1 over the past six weeks, which is a turnover that hasn't happened on the Hot 100 in more than 20 years. (And all six are still in the Top 10.) Indeed, in 2009 there were a total of 13 songs that reached the top of the chart (let's not forget the Black Eyed Peas clogged things up for 26 weeks straight with "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling"), yet there have been 17 #1 singles in 2010 to date.

Meanwhile, Coldplay's "Christmas Lights" debuts at #25 this week, giving the UK band their sixth Top 40 hit here in the States. (In their home country it reached #18 this past week.)

Likewise, The Killers enter at #79 with their own holiday single "Boots", the video for which had me a tad misty-eyed I must admit.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Firework" - Katy Perry *1 week*
2. "Raise Your Glass" - Pink
3. "What's My Name" - Rihanna feat. Drake
4. "The Time (The Dirty Bit)" - The Black Eyed Peas
5. "Grenade" - Bruno Mars
6. "Only Girl (In The World)" - Rihanna 
7. "Just The Way You Are" - Bruno Mars
8. "We R Who We R" - Ke$ha
9. "Just A Dream" - Nelly
10. "Bottoms Up" - Trey Songz feat. Nicki Minaj

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Pure J.Me said…

    How "Teenage Dream" the album got an Album of the Year Grammy nom is anyone's guess. Although I must state that I think "Firework" and "Peacock" are perfect pop songs. It's the latter half of the album that is a snooze-fest.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    D'luv. you're hating on Katy Perry's latest jam made me think about "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" by Morrissey.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I thought you loved her long time?

    I must admit she's insidiously hooking me in with Firework :( but she still can't sing. She's like a monotone Ke$ha, which just goes to show that you may think something is the absolute, but you really have no idea!

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    J.Me, I'm thinking it's more a nod from Grammy to exec producers Dr. Luke & Max Martin rather than Katy Puxxxy. At least that's how I'm choosing to spin it in my mind.

    Jump!, why, pray tell?

    Joshua, WHAT? Have you and Jump! been mainlining the junk again? I can't stand that talentless tit machine. I do love "Teenage Dream" as a song, though. But that's about it.

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    Katy Perry wore out her welcome with "i kissed a girl". I seriously don't get the appeal that that woman seems to generate.

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger wpmsd said…

    I'm willing to cut her some slack. She built up a lot of bonus pts with Kissed A Girl and Hot N Cold with me. Gurls and Teenage were fairly good, although I don't like Firework much.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Pranav, it's her tits.

    wpmsd, I like every other single or so. Well, okay, I only like two - "Hot N Cold" and "Teenage Dream".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home