dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Monday, January 10, 2011

It's Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me"

Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me" has leaked a day ahead of its official release date, and as was evident from the demo that surfaced last week, it's a highly Euro-influenced dance-pop jam that, musically, is minimalist on the verses, leaving the payoff to be delivered by the chorus.

It's kind of the same tactic that was taken with "Womanizer" off Circus, and sadly I'm not really feeling the second coming of Jesus Christ with this one. That said, I'm sure "Hold It Against Me" will fly up the iTunes chart once it's added around midnight tonight and then debut at #1 on the Hot 100 next week.

Don't get me wrong—I think Weaveney herself delivers on the song. But given that Max Martin and Dr. Luke are in charge of her whole album, I expected a bit more in the way of melodic fireworks. Guess I'll play it 47 times in a row until I force myself to love it (for a week).

Like Britney sings in the middle eight here, "Give me something good!"

Labels: , ,


  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Random J said…

    The middle eight and breakdown is pretty bad ass. The production is so club ready that there's pretty much no point commissioning remixes for this.

    But the song as a whole is generic and Britney just doesn't own it. You forget it's even her song after 2 minutes. Is that even her singing on the chorus!?

    "I'm a slave 4 U", "Gimme more" and "3" are still my Britney lead singles of preference.

    I really hope Max Martin and Dr. Luke aren't doing Britney's whole album. Otherwise it's just going to end up sounding like a Katy Perry and Ke$ha record - which'd be a shame. Considering Britney was selling units and albums deep before Katy and Ke$h knew how to suck dicks for record deals.

  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Patrick said…

    It's not bad, but I'm hoping for better on the album. Robyn's beats are ten times sicker. I do, however, love the breakdown!

  • At 9:48 AM, Anonymous lili said…

    this is great.
    One of her greatest songs.

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    This song sounds like a mashup of Womanizer & Circus.

  • At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I consider one and all should look at it.
    this 6 | also link | superb 2 do not forget 7 | superb 2 | also 9 check 8 | look 3


Post a Comment

<< Home