dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Trashback: Hithouse "Jack To The Sound Of The Underground"

Say, kids, what time is it? It's time for HOUSE...and what I'll attempt as a recurring weekly feature, Friday Trashback.

I've been working on a side project (a book — hence me being a little scattered with the posting occasionally this year) for the past few months, and delving deep into the d'luvvly recesses of my memory for all kinds of godawful fodder. Last night got me thinking about house music in 1989, for instance.

This Hithouse jam "Jack To The Sound Of The Underground" sticks out, because I remember taping it off the radio one Sunday afternoon that spring, when one of the local Top 40 stations would air a special that played dance music for two hours. Yeah, my social life rocked in 9th grade.

I have seriously not heard this song in 22 years, though I know exactly where that cassette tape is in my old bedroom back in PA.

Anyway, here 'tis:

That, chyldryn, is some hot trash. A little online research shoes that the Dutch DJ/producer behind Hithouse, Peter Slaghuis, sadly died in a car accident in 1991, at the age of 30.

"Jack To The Sound Of The Underground" reached #14 on the UK singles chart, and if I recall correctly, dented the US dance charts, too.

Labels: ,


  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this was the jam back in the day, right when acid house and all that came...massive!
    then came "stakker humanoid" remember that one?


Post a Comment

<< Home