Lady Gaga's Relentless Promo Pays Off, 'Born This Way' Sells Over 1.1 Million Copies
* Britney Spears, Oops!...I Did It Again (2000, 1.319 million)
* Lady Gaga, Born This Way (2011, 1.108 million)
* Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard (1992, 1.061 million)
* Taylor Swift, Speak Now (2010, 1.047 million)
* Norah Jones, Feels Like Home (2004, 1.022 million)
It's also Gaga's first Top 200 chart-topping album, and, Billboard notes, only the 17th LP in the SoundScan era (i.e. since 1991) to sell a million copies.
So, the question on everyone's minds: how much did the 99-cent deal at Amazon's MP3 store aid the overall sales of Born This Way? Billboard points out that about 440,000 downloads flew through the digital retailer throughout last week. (The album had the under-a-buck deal last Monday and Thursday only.)
Guess doing 148 TV shows in one week really does pay off.
Labels: Lady GaGa