dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

US Chart Roundup: Katy Perry Gets Closer To Tying MIchael Jackson's Chart Record

I've been very vocal about loving Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)," which climbs to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week. But the fact that it might go to #1 (it deserves to do more so than, say, "Firework") and cause Katy to tie Michael Jackson's record of having five #1s off one album is borderline scandalous!

The Gloved EEEEEEEEEE Heeeeeeeee!!!!'s feat was bound to matched at some point. His five chart-topping singles all came from 1987 album Bad, so the fact that it's taken nearly 25 years for an artist to come along and equal that record is still pretty impressive.

But when I think of Katy Perry, I just think of whipped cream tits and popsicles. Then again, when I think of Michael Jackson, I think of crotch-grabbing and La Toya. Guess there are some similarities!

At any rate, I put up a poll on whether or not Katy Perry deserves to match MJ's chart record over at Idolator. Vote away, if you get the urge.

For the record: Michael's five consecutive #1s from Bad were "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," "Bad," "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Man In The Mirror" and "Dirty Diana." Katy's four so far from Teenage Dream are "California Gurls," "Teenage Dream," "Firework" and "E.T."

Oh, and PS — I've been driving around L.A. in a rental car all week, stuck with just the radio. And if I ever hear "Party Rock Anthem" or "Rolling In The Deep" — two songs played at least twice an hour on KIIS FM — I'll fork my eardrums with plastic utensils.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO/Lauren Bennett/GoonRock *4 weeks*
2. "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - Katy Perry
3. "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo, AfroJack & Nayer
4. "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
5. "Rolling In The Deep" - Adele
6. "How To Love" - Lil Wayne
7. "Tonight, Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae
8. "The Edge Of Glory" - Lady Gaga
9. "Good Life" - OneRepublic
10. "Lighters" - Bad Meets Evil feat. Bruno Mars

Labels: , ,


  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I always knew she was the second coming of the King of Pop

  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Chris in Kansas said…

    To be petty, that's only four Michael Jackson songs in the list....you left out Man In The Mirror. How could you????!!!!

  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger wpmsd said…

    I think Friday is the best song on the album, so I'm rooting for her.

    To be fair, it's a totally different era in music charts. The 2nd half of the 80s was a time with record labels, stores, and radio stations exhibiting increasingly dysfunctional behavior which led to Billboard overhauling how they compiled the charts in 1991.

    Prior to 1991, the sales component of the charts were compiled from stores listing their top sellers. On the airplay side, radio stations submitted a list of their top songs. This methodology was ripe for "gaming the chart." Record labels decided that they got a boost from being able to say a song hit #1, but the difference between a song being #1 for one wk vs many wks didn't matter, so they started to pressure stores and radio stations to back off on listing older songs once they hit #1. From 1986-1990 it was rare for a song to spend more than 2 or 3 wks at #1. In fact between Like a Virgin in late 1984 and Rush Rush in 1990, no song was #1 longer than 4 wks.

    All of this coupled with single sales starting decline as CDs took over and the higher price pt discouraged some sales, led to a very high turnover on the Hot 100.

    MJ is a prime example. From Thriller, he had 7 top 10s, and 2 hit #1. From Bad, which was big, but not nearly as epic, he had 5 #1 and another top 10. If Thriller had come out in this time period, I bet all 7 hits would have gone to #1.

  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Boma said…

    welcome to cali haha thats all we get in socal

  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Project Mobius said…

    Hmm... I think "Firework" is the best song from Teenage Dream. However, I think that "Last Friday Night" is also a great song - way better than the crappy "Teenage Dream" (song), where Katy Perry's tone is horrible.

  • At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Julia said…

    Joshua said "I always knew she was the second coming of the King of Pop".

    No, I disagree with you, Joshua.
    I like Perry, really, some of her songs are pretty lovable, but she is and always will be veeery veeery far from the high point of MJ.
    Sorry, this is simply what I think, but, shamone guys, it is not possible to compare Katy Perry to... Mister Michael Joseph Jackson! I mean, totally another universe, yeah, another era, well, another planet! And I don' t believe that, ok I am a huge fan of MJ since '70, planet "Michael Jackson" will be so easy to reach, in fact I think that the talent, the Art, the impressive shape and the magic of that man, called Michael Jackson, won' t belong to any artist never again.
    Saying that, I must be sincere, my favourite song of all times (in that case of "Bad" album)is "The Way You Make Me Feel".

  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    I think we can all agree that it is the lovely vocals of Miss Lauren Bennett that is keeping America utterly entranced by "Party Rock Anthem".

  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Joshua, "coming" being the key word.

    Chris, OOPS! And, EEEEEEEEEE-HEEEEEeeeee! Fixing now. Thanks!

    wpmsd, I agree about "Friday" being the best! And thank you for the history lesson. Good points all around.

    Boma, Right? I lived here for 11 years and now kind of live all over the place. Was great to be back for a week!

    Project Mobius, bite your tongue re: "Teenage Dream" (the song)! Though I think I do like "Friday" just as much if not better.

    Julia, I find it hard to believe that there'll ever be another MJ. I mean, Heidi Montag got close... ;)

    Patrick, when's that ho putting an album out? She's signed by Pitbull, no?

  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    kinda scary that Katy Perry's record is getting dangerously close to that of Michael's. It has less to do with her artistic prowess than the fact that radio plays shit, and when shit competes against shit, it is pretty obvious what will do well and potentially reach records that were set decades ago.

  • At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Maritess said…

    Well, best of luck to Katy Perry.

    From Best Online Guitar Lessons


Post a Comment

<< Home