dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Wonder Why Steps De$ided To Reunite?

Upon reading that Steps will be getting back together for a four-part documentary for Sky News in the UK, set to air later this year,  I couldn't help thinking about how I'd wanted this reunion to happen for years.

After all, during their active years of releasing music, 1997 through 2001,  I managed to collect every one of their CD singles on import (and even the two released in the US) — the only artist I'd ever done so with. Thirteen of their single releases made the UK Top 5 in that short period (14, if we count the godawful all-star "Thank ABBA For The Music" travesty with Tina Cousins, Billie Piper and some other hookers).

There was something so undeniably cheesy about their image and repertoire (dance moves for every single, available for the kiddies to learn via a how-to sheet tucked in the CD — really), yet so subtly urgent and pop-perfect about many of their jams. Of course, the five band members had little-to-no input on said jams (though they do get a few writing credits on third and final album Buzz).

At any rate, who's to say if any new music will develop from the reunion? Says Sky exec Mark Sammon, "We'll document the in-fighting, jealousy and power struggles - it's not the sugar-coated Steps we all remember. I'm delighted this British pop phenomenon has given us access to their stories. And we can expect tears and dramatic confrontation as they attempt to put the past behind them and re-launch Steps ten years on from their split."

A quick look at their songs on my iTunes reveals the following:

Best Steps Singles: "One For Sorrow" (1998), "Better Best Forgotten" (1999), "Say You'll Be Mine" (1999), "It's The Way You Make Me Feel" (2001), "You'll Be Sorry" (2001)



Worst Steps Single: "When I Said Goodbye/Summer Of Love" (2000)"

Best Steps Album: Buzz (2000)



Worst Steps Album: Steptacular (1999)

Steps Album Tracks That Should Have Been Singles: "Back To You," "Turn Around"

Steps B-Sides That Should Have Been Singles: "Just Like The First Time," "Human Touch"

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger dishy said…

    Uh, I missed out on that crap, thank god. D'Luvvly - you actually BOUGHT that shit? HOLY HELL!

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm going to have to agree with the commenter above, unbelievably awful! I think you just lost some credibility points with this article!

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Todd said…

    Screw 'em. Steps are legends.
    Did you watch Popstars to Operastars? It's on YouTube.
    Claire came in 3rd and Joe McElderry won!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    It was hard not to get caught up in the STEPS excitement when it was happening. The first kinda new music from a former SAW team that wasn't almost entirely cheesy 50s covers. I still love their version of "last thing on my mind" and "deeper shade of blue" but despite their usually dancetastic singles their albums were bogged down in too much ballad drivel. I sold my entire collection of cds and import singles- keeping only Gold. Claire was on US show entertainment tonight recently for her substantial weight gain. I can only imagine if she still has the moves.

    If they do comeback H and Claire have some explaining/apologising for their foray into music as a duo. I wonder if Lisa will ever release her amazing "unleashed" album in full. "now or never" omitted lots of great songs.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Steps made some great music. I have all the albums and nearly all the singles and at import prices they didn't come cheap.

    Just Like The First Time - An excellent track. Where's an instrumental when you want one?!

    I like Steptacular better than Buzz. I rarely listen to the latter.

    Claire was very good on Operastar. I would have liked her and Andy in the final but with Erasure touring at the same time it seems he had little time to practice for the show. Plus, Joe likely had 75%+ of the total votes from day one so it was his to lose.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Tell the truth: You only bought all the CD singles so you could collect all the photos of super-hottie Lee Latchford-Evans!! I know I did :|

    I was always so frustrated that my computer was too weak to play the videos in the CD-rom portion :|

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Also, for the record "Thank ABBA For The Music" is one of the best medleys ever recorded by a supergroup!!!!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Jef said…

    Boy, that brought back memories. I always liked their cover of Bananarama's "Last Thing on My Mind," but not "Movin' On," which is a better song. And "The Way You Make Me Feel" was annoyingly catchy.

    I always wondered what their cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole" would have sounded like ...

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i saw this posted elsewhere and my first thought was "OHMIGODFINALLY" followed immediately by
    "OHMIGODPLEASEDON'TACTUALLYREUNITE"

    not sure i'm ready even 10 years later to learn how truly manufactured and non-"pop group of my dreams" the reality of steps was....

    (that's what the spice girls are for.)

    i dare ANYONE who thinks steps is crap to play their cover of bananarama's "last thing on my find" (actually, well, crap) first, then their cover of the bee gee's "tragedy" (lo fat cheese. best if taken with video), THEN their cover of diana ross' "chain reaction" (AHHHHHSOME) from their gh album and not find themselves running to ebay to bid on every thing they ever put out as a group....

    and that's BEFORE you realize you've begun mimicking their dance steps if you watch any of the videos...

    -adolfo
    kyliedawg

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Xianjun Ranqin said…

Post a Comment

<< Home