dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

US Chart Roundup: Party Rock Is In The Trash Tonight

While LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" matches Lady Gaga's six-week stretch at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Born This Way," the dance-pop clowns are now dangerously close to tying Adele's seven-week run with "Rolling In The Deep" — i.e. the single that's spent the most weeks at the top of the chart this year so far.

It's not that I don't like "Party Rock Anthem," mind you. At this point, after hearing it practically every time I bother to turn on the radio, I just feel kind of numb/confused/bewildered/mystified/tortured/assaulted/raped by it.

Speaking of which, Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera's "Moves Like Jagger" makes its way back into the Top 10, at #8, after spending a lone week at the same position when it debuted on the Hot 100 nearly two months ago.

Likewise, on the Top 200 album chart, Adele's 21 returns to #1 for a 12th non-consecutive week. That's now the longest stretch at the top for an LP since Santana's Supernatural was #1 for the same amount of time between 1999 and 2000.

And that, folks, is fascinating...

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO/Lauren Bennett/GoonRock *6 weeks*
2. "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - Katy Perry
3. "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
4. "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo, AfroJack & Nayer
5. "Lighters" - Bad Meets Evil feat. Bruno Mars
6. "How To Love" - Lil Wayne
7. "I Wanna Go" - Britney Spears
8. "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera
9. "Rolling In The Deep" - Adele
10. "Tonight, Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    Robbie...I have to admit I am quite surprised you even listen to regular over-the-air radio - especially given how eclectic your musical tastes are.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    Miss Lauren Bennett will NOT be stopped. Bow.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Project Mobius said…

    I do hear "Party Rock Anthem" on the radio quite often, but it's not nearly as bad as the run for "Rolling in the Deep" was on the radio. As a matter of fact, I'd debate that I hear about Katy Perry taking too many shots more often than I do about gettin' up, gettin' down and puttin' my hands up to the sound!

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Jebb said…

    Hideous as the LMFAO "song" may be, I'd prefer to see it at #1 for 14 weeks than for the glorious monotone of Katy Perry to get another number one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home