dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

My First Mix CD: January 2001

Yesterday, while driving around, I was reminded of the very first mix CD I made, back in January 2001. I dug it out, threw it in my car and played it last night. I also scanned the tracklist and posted on the Chart Rigger Facebook wall, which has brought about some interesting comments (my fave: the guy who says he slept with one of the male members of Deuce — which isn't the first person I've heard say that).

The backstory is this: I actually didn't own a computer at that point, and so the whole Napster revolution passed me by. (Limewire, a few years later, was a different story.) That said, my good friend was heavily into downloading music (illegally), and I'd tell him certain songs to grab for me on occasion.

I was actually more interested in making a mix than yanking songs for free off the Internet, however, because the quality of the MP3s he was getting was so poor. So I scheduled some time with him one Sunday night in late January 2001, brought over a stack of CDs and I made my very first compact disc mix on his computer.

Most of the songs are from that era. Even Take That/Lulu "Relight My Fire", a song originally released in 1993, had appeared on one of the UK Queer As Folk soundtracks. I had watched the series on video for the first time in Summer 2000, in PAL format. I was working at Summit Entertainment at the time, and we had a PAL converter in the office conference room, as, in the pre-Twilight days, Summit was mainly an overseas distributor.

I think I just threw Deuce's "No Surrender" (a 1996 single) and Ace Of Base's "Beautiful Life" (1995) on there because I knew they'd sound good and round things out pretty well.

I made this mix two months before Daft Punk's Discovery was released (though "One More Time" had been out on CD single for a couple months at that point). Also, I believe, at that time, Steps' "It's The Way You Make Me Feel" was the most recent actual single included, since it had been officially released (in the UK) in early January 2001. Of course, the Buzz album had been out since the fall of 2000.

The Deja Vu "When You Say Nothing At All" cover was from some Almighty mix compilation I picked up at the Virgin Megastore. It was obviously recorded because Ronan Keating made the song popular again a year-and-a-half earlier when he released his own cover as his debut solo single (which appeared in Notting Hill), and Almighty were all about the dodgy covers at that point.

Anyway, I burned about seven copies of the mix at my friend's place, hopped in my car and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway that Sunday night, just listening to it. I don't think I got home till about 1 a.m.  But it felt so exhilarating to hear all those songs on a CD, in the order that I arranged them.

The following week, I either handed over or mailed all the copies to friends. Good times.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Moogaboo said…

    SEVEN COPIES?!?! I thought you made this mix ONLY FOR ME. haha

  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Ha ha! No, I made for others, too. I was a one-man Now That's What I Call Music with that one.

  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Todd said…

    The graphic design is impressive! I just wrote on mine with a Sharpie.

  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Remember what a tremendous pain in the ass CD burning was at first? Blank discs were so expensive, and the odds of one's CD burner actually burning the disc correctly during the first few tries was decidedly low. My how times have changed!

    Man, I still love that Alice Deejay jam. It was big during a trip I took to China during college, and it always reminds me of that trip, for better or worse.

    Thanks for another great trip down memory lane, D'luv.

  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Sarah said…

    Robbie this is very cute! I recognise that publisher software too! I wish I'd kept my early CDs and cassette mixes!

  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can we get a download link for this album, i like most the songs on it lol

  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    Awww....memories. I have most of these songs still - except for Lolly. Actually, some are still listed in my iPod.

  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I see some things have not changed!

  • At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Elwin said…

    This won't really have success, I feel like this.
    yellow pumps | calorie requirements | furniture stores


Post a Comment

<< Home