dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rihanna's "Talk That Talk" Single Art Looks Like All Rihanna's Other Single Art

"love u guys! Been missin u," Rihanna tweeted last night, along with the single cover art the title track off Talk That Talk. Clearly, though, what she's been missing more than "u" is a decent chart position for the previous single from her album, "You Da One". The Dr. Luke production is currently languishing at the very un-Rihanna-like position of #22 on the Hot 100.

So did the stealthy run of Chart Rigger's favorite song of 2011 "We Found Love" eclipse the chances of success for "You Da One"? Or is it simply the fact that, as I pointed out when the video arrived last month, the song just isn't that great?

Oh, well. We'll just call it Ri Ri's "Shut Up And Drive" of this era.



  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger dishy said…

    As I mentioned SOMEWHERE - that foolish child should have released a WE FOUND LOVE EP - that albums sucks shit

  • At 10:40 AM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Also, I simply am not loving the whole vibe she's going for with the album/single art and the "We Found Love" video. I get that she is trying to harden her image and earn a bit of cred, but surely there is a better way than this. I do not buy her as THAT girl and can't help but think "oh look, RiRi is playing dress-up" every time I see one of the images.

  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I swear sometimes I hate the lack of creativity of record companies whose mode of business is always "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

    Just because the formula of first releasing an Electronic Dance Song (Only Girl/We Found Love), then an Island Caramba song (You Da One/What's My Name), then a Bizarre In-Your-Face Song (Talk That Talk/S&M) worked once, does not mean it will work again!

    It's this type of mentality that is exactly why the record industry has basically imploded on itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger That_One_Guy said…

    *MEOW* @Joshua. Although I totally agree *grins*

    I really dig these tunes, but if "We Found Love" is still doing well, why did they release "You Da One"? It's not the BEST song, but it's okay enough to do better. "WFL" is #1 again and "YDO" is idle at #22.

    NOW they want to release another single?

    I reckon the record company thinks visibility is better than none. Not that I know Rihanna or anything, but I wonder if the poor girl is exhausted. A new album released while she was still touring 'LOUD'; if she is not up for promoting because she just finished a tour, why load all these singles/videos on her? Let the girl breathe so she can promote your shit properly, people!!


    Alas, I still hope "YDO" does better. I like it. Formula or not, I think it is different than most of the stuff on the top 40, but that is just my ears talking.

  • At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i actually really like you da one, and think talk that talk is a brilliant choice for 3rd single... 4th? i would go with where have you been

  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Dishy, I can't make it past "Talk That Talk" (i.e. song #4) on the album, myself.

    shaun, her single art is always lazy at best. It's like they do one shoot that lasts 20 minutes, and stretch the photos out for a year till the next album rolls around.

    Joshua, you should be running things, boo.

    That One Guy, hindsight is always 20/20 (too bad it wasn't just 69, eh?), but now, in retrospect, it feels like they should have just held the album till about February, let "We Found Love" run its course and dropped "You Da One" maybe late January, a couple weeks ahead of the LP. Oh wellz...

    Anonymous, the only other good song on the album.


Post a Comment

<< Home