dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

UK Chart Roundup: British Sex Sorceress Jessie J Lands Second #1 With "Domino"

Jessie J's "Domino," a great case of when good pop songs happen to boring people, has now become the BRIT-nominated singer's second chart-topping single in her home country (following "Price Tag").

But since this is depressing news, let's watch the music video for the song that was #1 in the UK this week 10 years ago, Aaliyah's Timbaland-produced classic "More Than A Woman"!

The UK Top 10:

1. "Domino" - Jessie J *1 week*
2. "Good Feeling" - Flo Rida
3. "Mama Do The Hump" - Rizzle Kicks
4. "Levels" - Avicii
5. "Dedication To My Ex" - Lloyd feat. Andre 3000 & Lil Wayne
6. "Troublemaker" - Taio Cruz
7. "Paradise" - Coldplay
8. "Titanium" - David Guetta feat. Sia
9. "Dance With Me Tonight" - Olly Murs
10. "Earthquake" - Labrinth feat. Tinie Tempah

Labels: , ,


  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    Because of you (and only you), I want to hate everything this British Katy Perry touches, but... I cannot bring myself to hate Domino.

    It's so reminiscent of those perfect 1993-1994 pop songs by Amy Grant and Sheryl Crow before the Angry Grrrl movement took over for a hot minute.

  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Well, as I said, it's a good pop song that happened to a boring person. I like it too!

    Now, off to listen to "Good For Me" by Amy Grant....

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger emh8604 said…

    I don't understand what everyone is talking about. I have been following Jessie J's music career for at least three years now and there is NO resemblence to Katy Perry. Sure they are both singer/ songwriters, but I don't recall ever seeing Katy Perry rap nor can she come close to Jessie J's powerhouse vocals. Jessie's style has always been a bit on the advant garde side and I feel it is an outward expression of the brilliant, artistic soul within. I'm not really a huge fan of Jessie' mainstream pop sound but she is young and entitled to a little fun. Give some of her more heartfelted sounds a listen and you'll see her in a whole new light. Big White Room, Casualty of Love, Technology, etc.

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Jump! said…

    I don't think the song is even good although I'm sure Jessie J knows a thing or two about going down.

  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Diva Incarnate said…

    As a UK native, I couldn't even tell you what that song sounds like. I bought Aaliya's self-titled record and decided I'd be buying everything she put out from there on. Only she died the next day.

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger That_One_Guy said…

    I agree with @Emh: she is certainly a better vocalist than Perry in my book, even though Perry can sing (were she want to). Outside of that, is like comparing Robyn with Mandy Moore, just because they were both blonde pop singers in the nineties.

    Alas. This song is crap compared to her other singles, but I am glad she is making them dollars. Methinks she may reach the top 10 with this one in the US.

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger John said…

    You've got a sampling of just about every kind of opinion here. For me, I want to like Jessie because she DOES have a better voice than the Katy Perrys of the world, but she's constantly trying to be something to everyone while wearing some of the most ridiculous outfits. Having said that, "Domino" is the jam, but to emh, this is TOTALLY a move to get a Katy Perry-style hit.

  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger Vinamilk Vinamilk said…

    Gaming world where everyone entertained with games like Run 3 unblocked or Run 4 unblocked or Run unblocked . The adventure racing game as Car Racing Games or game that a lot of people like the Super Mario Unblocked or Donkey Kong Unblocked is also very attractive. Have fun!


Post a Comment

<< Home