dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, February 04, 2012

Spice Girls' Debut Album 'Spice' Is 15 Today

Eff, does this make me feel old: today marks 15 years since the release of Spice Girls' debut LP Spice in the US! I was home from college at my parents' house that early February, on the weekend before my birthday, and dragged my mom to the record store so I could buy the CD. (Actually, I probably made her buy it for me...)

And now, 15 years later, here I am writing up a retrospective piece on the album for Idolator. Here's a bit of it:
"Implicit in its 'ladies first' mantra, 'Wannabe' has the five taking a stand by telling the male object of their collective affection that he’s out the door if their friends don’t approve, and 'if you really bug me then I’ll say goodbye.' Of course, all this female empowerment came courtesy of a pack of carefully choreographed, cleavage- and midriff-baring girls in skintight outfits. (Welcome to the ’90s.)"
You can read the full writeup here. But do so while wearing a Union Jack mini-dress, please.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger That_One_Guy said…

    Awesome. It was the second album I ever bought on my own (the first was supposed to be Spice, but they were sold out so my father sought to soothe me with Fey's "Tierna La Noche"; look it up, still awesome too).

    Thanks for sharing! I love me some Spice Girls.

    ps. Are we excited about Geri's new album in 2012?

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Joshua said…

    I just moved (which is why I am now catching up to your blog) and found ALL my old stashes of music tidbits. I still have old newspaper clippings of when Ginger quit the Spice Girls, as well as tour adverts from newspapers and magazines, and album reviews from People magazine, etc. (Childhood hobby...)

    I still say their Istanbul concert is one of the best concerts ever. It was a bit sloppy, but also extremely fantastic and fabulous. And NO backup dancers!!!! :O

     

Post a Comment

<< Home