dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

US Chart Roundup: Katy Perry Is #1, Madonna Drops & Whitney And Adele Keep Selling

Katy Perry's bland leftover "Part Of Me" debuts at #1 on the Hot 100 this week, giving her the first chart-topping single off Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection and her seventh overall. What a dismal offering to become only the 20th single to enter in the peak position on the chart.

Meanwhile, Adele sees a post-Grammys surge as all three of her 21 jams clutter the Top 10, marking the first time a female has pulled off such a feat as a lead artist. Over on the Top 200 album chart, 21 is at #1 for a 21st week exactly one year after it was released in the States. The LP sold another 703,000 copies, and its domestic total now stands at 7.3 million.

Elsewhere, Madonna's Top 10 stay with "Give Me All Your Luvin'" proved to be short-lived, as the song has now predictably plunged 29 positions to #39 in its third week on the Hot 100. Meanwhile, I just took out a 75-year loan to see finally the Vampyre on tour this fall. I figured, well, the old '80s broads are dropping like flies these days. Better catch them while I can.

Speaking of which, Whitney Houston's former #1 single "I Will Always Love You" was a re-entry at #7 last week, and jumps up to #3 this week. Also, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is up to #25, "Greatest Love Of All" is at #36 and "How Will I Know" re-enters the chart at #49. On the Top 200, Whitney: The Greatest Hits climbs to a new peak of #2. (It originally got to #5 upon its release in 2000).

Along these lines, be sure to check out the Whitney Houston's 10 Best Songs That Radio Forgot feature I did for Idolator this week. It will rock your to your very foundation

We'll end things on a British boy band note: The Wanted's "Glad You Came" inches up two positions to #23 on the Hot 100 this week, while One Direction's former UK #1 "What Makes You Beautiful" debuts at #28.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Part Of Me" - Katy Perry *new* *1 week*
2. "Set Fire To The Rain" - Adele
3. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston
4. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - Kelly Clarkson
5. "Rolling In The Deep" - Adele
6. "We Are Young" - fun. feat. Janelle Monae
7. "Someone Like You" - Adele
8. "We Found Love" - Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris
9. "Starships" - Nicki Minaj *new*
10. "Turn Up The Music" - Chris Brown *new*

Labels: , , , , , ,


  • At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    is this the first time you are watching Madonna? I've watched her twice. The first time was in Paris back in 2001 while I was studying in France. That show was god-awful. I wanted to throw a shoe at the stage and given how close I was, the shoe would have reached. The second time was in 2004 in Washington D.C. and that show TOTALLY ROCKED!!! Great songs make great shows- not great circus acts and I think Madonna proved that with the setlist for her 2004 tour. The hits just kept flowing - probably because she was doing damage control for the shit-show that "American life" was. Now, she might just push her new material - like she did in her 2001 Drowned World tour.

  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    I saw her in 2004 in D.C., too, Pranav...we might have been at the same show!

  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Madonna's future is greatest hits tours with the odd new track thrown in. I saw Blonde Ambition in Toronto in '90(?) and it was great- don't regret it being the last for me considering some of the crap tours she's put on since.

    Anyway, the real news is the One Direction album. Great album. Mr. Cowell does it again. It's preordered on itunes.

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Todd said…

    Woo One Direction! I'm going to see them tonight--their U.S. debut!--in Chicago. They're opening for Big Time Rush LOL. I can't believe I'm saying this.

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger wpmsd said…

    I have to say the past couple of weeks have been among the most exciting ever in Hot 100 history. And I don't even particularly like the new Katy Perry or Kelly Clarkson songs.

  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    @shaun: That was one HELL of a show! absolutely brilliant on every dimension.

  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    completely agree, Pranav...one of my best concerts ever!


Post a Comment

<< Home