dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Duran Duran's 'The Wedding Album' Turns 20 (My Nick Rhodes Interview)

A week ago I interviewed Duran Duran's Nick Rhodes for both the 20th anniversary of the band's The Wedding Album and Rhodes' side project TV Mania. You can check out both below:

* Duran Duran's The Wedding Album Turns 20: Backtracking

* Nick Rhodes: 7 Questions About TV Mania's Bored With Prozac And The Internet?

The Wedding Album (technically a self-titled LP from the Durans) had a huge impact on me when it was released in 1993. I was still only a teenager then, yet old enough to have been a Duran Duran fan as a kid (thanks to MTV), during the band's '80s heyday.

My best friend at the time latched onto "Ordinary World" and the whole album from the get-go, and we played the cassette (!) in our cars wherever we went that year. I still consider "Come Undone"  to be one of the finest singles of the 1990s.

Eventually, I saw Duran Duran on tour twice that year: in Cleveland, with Terence Trent D'Arby as opening act, and in Pittsburgh with The Cranberries in tow, two months before they blew up big with "Linger."

Meanwhile, holy s***:

It was a huge honor to speak with Nick Rhodes, and it'd definitely one of the interviews I'll never forget. 

Labels: ,


  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    Robbie, I am SO jealous you got to interview Nick Rhodes. I would kill to interview him and Simon Le Bon. "Wedding Album" is an absolute gem. The idea that it is 20 years old makes me feel very very old. "Come Undone" and "Breath after Breath" are my favorites off that album. Since you are a Duran Duran fan, definitely check out "Beautiful Colours" by Duran Duran. It is a brilliant unreleased track of theirs that you can find on youtube.

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Will do! Hope you like the two write-ups I did :) And, yes, makes me feel very old, too. I remember loving The Wedding Album and very clearly have times I'd be driving around listening to it in my mind. Can't believe that was 20 years ago.

  • At 12:12 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    Awesome stuff as usual, Robbie. I was around the same age and loved The Wedding Album, too. I remember being so pleasantly surprised at the success of Come Undone, as it was very different -- certainly much darker -- than the other music out at the time.

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger D'luv said…

    Thanks, Shaun! Did you have the CD single for "Come Undone"? There was a radio mix on there, much different from the album version. Totally different vibe, but very pleasant in its own right. But, yeah — one of my favorite pop songs ever.

  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    Hey Robbie, I am about to read the write-ups right now. I am sure they are awesome. Will let you know what I think of then. By the way, the "come undone" single has a great b-side on it called "Fallen Angel".

  • At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Pranav said…

    you've outdone yourself on the Duran Duran article on Idolator. Absolutely brilliant read! I am going to tweet the article on my radio station's twitter feed and will also post it on our facebook fanpage.

  • At 2:07 PM, Anonymous shaun said…

    I indeed did have the "Come Undone" single, Robbie. It was one of the few I owned in both cassette and CD form (on top of owning the album itself). I bought the cassette single, as was my usual M.O. b/c our local record store didn't carry CD singles yet. Then, we journeyed to the metropolis that is Bluefield, WV, and I was bewitched by a CD single at their fancy record store. The funeral-themed cover art was quite dark. Memories, memories, memories...


Post a Comment

<< Home