UK Chart Roundup: The Saturdays Land Their First #1 Single With "What About Us"
And their tie-in single that got promoted throughout the series, "What About Us," failed to catch on in the States. Naturally it's now gone on to become The Saturdays' first UK #1.
Let's think about that for a second. The biggest girl group still in existence in the UK released their amazing debut album Chasing Lights back in fall 2008. If we're going by quality, every single off of it should have hit the top of the chart in the Saturdays' home country. Instead, "If This Is Love" peaked at #8, "Up" made it to #5, "Issues" reached #4 and "Work" wound up at #22.
The quintet's output has sadly gotten progressively more generic and cookie-cutter since then, save for maybe a few singles like the rock-leaning "Forever Is Over" and slightly above-average floor filler "All Fired Up." (All in all, they're released three albums, an EP and 14 singles.)
All this is not to say that "What About Us," a terrible song — though the eye-roll-inducing presence of Sean Paul makes things seem more desperate than they really need to be. It's just that, for a promising group whose sound was filled with at least a modicum of originality at the onset, most of the Saturdays' singles from 2009 onward have been bandwagony tripe that any anonymous pack of strippers with a microphone could have done.
Anyway, enjoy the #1, girls.
The UK Top 10:
1. "What About Us" - The Saturdays feat. Sean Paul *new* *1 week*
2. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake
3. "Just Give Me A Reason" - Pink feat. Nate Ruess
4. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars
5. "Pompeii" - Bastille
6. "One Way Or Another" - One Direction
7. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz
8. "Ready Or Not" - Bridgit Mendler
9. "Disclosure" - White Noise feat. AlunaGeorge
10. "I Could Be The One" - Avicii vs. Nicky Romero