dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Pet Shop Boys' Benchmark Album 'Very' At 20: I've Been A Teenager Since Before You Were Born

Once upon a time, I wrote a piece here on Chart Rigger called Pet Shop Boys 'Very' At 15: How Can I Even Try To Explain? I remember sitting in Starbucks in the Westwood area of Los Angeles and writing it on my laptop that September, on a Sunday evening, like it was yesterday.

It was a more personal writeup, dealing with my thoughts on having come of age with the Pet Shop Boys' fifth album upon its release in 1993. "In so many ways, that fall was a new beginning for me," I wrote, "and Very soundtracked my life then and still resonates with who I am today."

And so consider me utterly shocked that five years have gone by since I typed those words. Today, September 27, officially marks the 20th anniversary of Very's release.

Yesterday I wrote a less personal but more all-encompassing anniversary piece on Very for Idolator, which was published today. You can check it out here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger MrNewmoononmonday said…

    Classic album, if not their best. I still have 'Relentless' and all the singles on cd. I totally agree with you about the Beatmasters mix of 'IWNDTKOT'. Great pieces you wrote, brought back a lot of memories...Entertainment Weekly (I lived for this magazine, ha), Nightmare Before Christmas, Benny & Joon, Pulp Fiction, etc.. I use to save my ticket stubs too. You should write a book. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home