dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chart Rigger Turns 9: Here's A Nice 2005 Pop Playlist To Crank Up & Celebrate With

Last night on the Chart Rigger Facebook wall, longtime reader Kye Miller posted the following:

It was a tongue-in-cheek but lovely sentiment on what coincidentally happened to be the eve of this very blog's nine-year anniversary. NINE YEARS of ups and flops.

Thinking about what I was doing nine years ago right now (other than writing the very first post on this site), what was going on in the world and where my life was at makes my head spin. But rather than get super sappy (because, let's face it — nine years isn't, like, 10 years or anything), I figured I'd slap together a saucy Spotify playlist of the songs that soundtracked 2005, from early January to the end of the year.

Maybe they were songs that you and I both enjoyed. They were definitely ones that were on heavy rotation throughout those early months of cranking out trash here on Chart Rigger. So, here you go, and as always, thank you so much for reading.

By the way, seriously — what were you doing in 2005?

Labels: ,


  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger MrNewmoononmonday said…

    "Happy 9th!", that's a long time...and thank you so much for this blog. In 2005 my twins were 2 years old, so my life was all about diapers. ha ...Omg, The Bravery, I loved 'An Honest Mistake' !

  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wasn't "Since you've been Gone" 2004? Breakaway, the album, was released early Nov 2004.

  • At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Boink In My Direction said…

    Don't forget the resurrection of Bananarama in the era of "Drama"!! So many fond memories of that album and Shuv-a-licious adventures!

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Robbie said…

    MrNMOM, it really is a good, forgotten track, no?

    Anonymous, it was 2004, as was "Hollaback Girl," "Smile Like You Mean it," etc. But they all kind of peaked in 2005. I remember "Since U Been Gone" making it to #2 on the Hot 100 early on that year.

    Boink, how could I forget? Actually, I didn't forget - Spotify didn't have that album when I looked :-/

  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger Daniel Efosa Uyi said…

    Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in trading links with my blog?
    My blog covers a lot of interesting and helpful posts just like yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. And also, I think you'll love my recent blog post titled How To Know If A Girl You Like Is No Longer Attracted To You

    I'm hoping to hear from you too and quickly, you've got a great blog here.


  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger John said…

    Congrats on the anniversary and on taking what you love and making a career out of it. I've said it before, but your blog is one of the main reasons I picked up blogging bug. While mine hasn't been as active as yours, I at least try to bring the same level of passion to mine when I do write.

  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Todd said…

    CONGRATULATIONS! It's been so great to follow the evolution of your career. Even someone with shitty taste like you can carve out a niche for yourself.

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Robbie said…

    John, thanks so much. It's always great reading your commentary and I'm always happy to hear from you!

    Todd, YOU'RE A SLUT. Thanks so much!


Post a Comment

<< Home