dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

UK Chart Roundup: "Timber" Is #1 And I Have Icky Feelings For Ke$ha

So here's the thing: I feel sorry for Ke$ha, a game broad I've been championing on this site since before "Tik Tok" was even a thing. I feel bad that she's now reportedly checked into rehab for a supposed eating disorder that more than probably hints at deeper insecurities and psychological issues that may or may not stem from the rumored control her mentor Dr. Luke wields over her.

I feel like "Timber," the new #1-charting Pitbull single in the UK that features Ke$ha, essentially blows, but is a tiny bit fun in a "well, it's got Ke$ha on it and her parts are kind of okay, but still..." way.

I also feel that sentiment rings true for all the singles off Ke$ha's last album, Warrior. Guess we can't really blame the singer, since she told Rolling Stone last fall that, basically, Dr. Luke won't let her record anything but crap now. ("I'd like to show the world other sides of my personality. I don't want to just continue putting out the same song and becoming a parody of myself. I have so much more to offer than that.") Mind you, this was the same interview where Ke$ha said her vagina is haunted, so...

Who knows what will happen next. K$ said on Friday, via a statement, that she'll be unavailable for the following 30 days while she undergoes rehabilitation. And until then, "Timber" is tops in the UK, and it's looking to repeat the same trick sooner or later here in the States. (The song has been locked at #2 on the Hot 100, held off the top for several weeks by Eminem and Rihanna's "Monster.")

On one hand, I feel like it's good for Ke$ha to be riding so high again, especially since, in the States, her previous two singles, "C'Mon" and "Crazy Kids," charted at #27 and #40, respectively. But on the other hand, "Timber" has (kid you not) 10 writers attributed to it other than Ke$ha, so it's not like she's going to make bank on the track. And also...it's a Pitbull song, for god's sake.

The UK Top 10:

1. "Timber" - Pitbull feat. Ke$ha *new* *1 week*
2. "Happy" - Pharrell Williams
3. "Hey Brother" - Avicii 
4. "Trumpets" - Jason Derulo 
5. "How Long Will I Love You" - Ellie Goulding
6. "The Monster" - Eminem feat. Rihanna
7. "Skyscraper" - Sam Bailey
8. "Animals" - Martin Garrix
9. "Story Of My Life" - One Direction
10. "Counting Stars" - OneRepublic

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home