dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

US Chart Roundup: Ariana Grande's Big Break

I'll admit, Ariana Grande's "Break Free" is like ear crack that I haven't been able to resist since it debuted a week ago. I listen to it each day on the train ride to and from the office, something I'm chalking more up to Max Martin's (co-)production rather than Zedd's involvement.

I mean, the whole thing has Martin all over it... down to the "now that I've become who I really are" lyric. (Who let that slip through? It's right up there with Robyn's "you're the one that I ever needed" in "Show Me Love.") Lesson to be learned: you apparently just don't correct Max in the studio.

Anyway, "Break Free" debuts at #15 this week, and gives Ariana her third Top 20 hit.

All else is business as usual, save for Maroon 5's ho-hum "Maps" moving up to #9 and bumping Pharrell Williams' "Happy" out of the Top 10 after 22 weeks.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Fancy" - Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX *7 weeks*
2. "Rude" - MAGIC!
3. "Problem" - Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea
4. "Am I Wrong" - Nico & Vinz
5. "Stay With Me" - Sam Smith
6. "Wiggle" - Jason Derulo feat. Snoop Dogg
7. "Summer" - Calvin Harris 
8. "All Of Me" - John Legend
9. "Maps" - Maroon 5
10. "Turn Down For What" - DJ Snake & Lil Jon

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home