dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

US Chart Roundup: Ellie Goulding's "Love Me Like You Do" Enters The Top 40 & Now There's A Video

Do we care at all about Kelly Clarkson's new, Jimmy Eat World-ripping single "Heartbeat Song"? It's a question I'm still trying to answer for myself. I heard it on the radio when I was at Midtown Comics on Monday, and I guess it sounded okay in that context — background noise in a store full of geeks. But at the end of the day, "Heartbeat Song" is no "My Life Would Suck Without You"...or even "Catch My Breath," for that matter.

At any rate, Kelly's latest debuts this week at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100. Top debut honors go to Maroon 5, whose third V single "Sugar" goes straight in at #8. To be honest, living in a world where Maroon 5 have had eight consecutive Top 10 hits (and 11 overall) makes me want to jam a 12-guage flare gun in my mouth and pull the trigger.



Naturally, this brings us to Ellie Goulding and "Love Me Like You Do," her contribution to the Shit Sex Book, Even Shittier Movie soundtrack. (In some circles, that trash is referred to as Fifty Shades Of Grey.) The song jumps into the Top 40, at #36, and now there's a music video for us all to Barbie Doll-leg ourselves to.

I like this song. It's maybe what Kelly Clarkson should have aimed for this time around. But she chose to work with Greg Kurstin and Kara DioGuardi and Ellie went with Max Martin. So there you have it.

The U.S. Top 10:

1. "Uptown Funk" - Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars *3 weeks*
2. "Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran
3. "Blank Space" - Taylor Swift
4. "Take Me To Church" - Hozier
5. "Shake It Off" - Taylor Swift
6. "Lips Are Movin" - Meghan Trainor
7. "I'm Not The Only One" - Sam Smith
8. "Sugar" - Maroon 5 *new*
9. "Jealous" - Nick Jonas
10. "All About That Bass" - Meghan Trainor

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home